bending handle bars

Street Smart

i just got another project bike. I`m not comfortable with the handlebars straight back, i`d like them to lean forward abit. is there a common way to accomplish that and have it look proper?

the best way is with a torch get it red hot and bend like butter. Just do it over a wideish length so all your bend isnt in one spot and kink. Take that gas tank off first too just incase. You can take it to most any mechanic shop or welding shop if you dont have access to a torch. Doing it without heat will probrobly kink the bars and definatly weaken the steel might even crack it.

Thats a Stellar. I wouldn't go bending on it. But then again it's not my bike.
I agree, thats a beaut! I wouldnt be bending it much. But I understand the need for it, I also need to bend my bars forward a bit. Dunno If I trust myself torching it tho:shrug:

Street Smart

Thats a Stellar. I wouldn't go bending on it. But then again it's not my bike.
I`m not sure what kinda bike it is, I posted in the "what is it" section but never really figured anything out.
I have a spot at the big swap meet at Englishtown NJ in a week and a half so maybe i will wait and see whats available there. Swap the forks out if i can find something.

i just got another project bike. I`m not comfortable with the handlebars straight back, i`d like them to lean forward abit. is there a common way to accomplish that and have it look proper?
You dont need a minibike you are not comfortable riding, I'll gladly trade you even for a sweet asian future classic that is fun to ride and plenty comfortable! Here she is, like new I swear and that new minibike smell is fresh as the day it rolled off the line! Dont miss this great opportunity to own a piece of history, a direct product of the end of manufacturing jobs in the US! The hottest thing to come out of china since the clone bolted in her! :laugh:

Seriously though you have a very nice original machine that'll be easy to restore and at worse you could sell it or find a comparable set of forks that will bolt right on and have the right style bars or cut the bars off the replacement forks and add risers for whatever style bar you like. Dont alter those forks or that minibike past redemption or you'll regret it for certain! I understand from the what is it thread it's a pretty rare machine. I'd leave it be, there'll be others!:thumbsup:

Street Smart

You dont need a minibike you are not comfortable riding, I'll gladly trade you even for a sweet asian future classic that is fun to ride and plenty comfortable! Here she is, like new I swear and that new minibike smell is fresh as the day it rolled off the line! Dont miss this great opportunity to own a piece of history, a direct product of the end of manufacturing jobs in the US! The hottest thing to come out of china since the clone bolted in her! :laugh:

Seriously though you have a very nice original machine that'll be easy to restore and at worse you could sell it or find a comparable set of forks that will bolt right on and have the right style bars or cut the bars off the replacement forks and add risers for whatever style bar you like. Dont alter those forks or that minibike past redemption or you'll regret it for certain! I understand from the what is it thread it's a pretty rare machine. I'd leave it be, there'll be others!:thumbsup:
I hear you load and clear, I am a hot rodder by trade, and in my heart.
every vehicle i own is old, a 67,70,70,72,78 and 86.
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
That thing would bring a premium should you decide to sell, I'd put it up like I never had it, somewhere dry and safe. Drag it out and put it on Ebay years down the line, it'll always hold it's value in that condition I would think. It's gotta be worth a small fortune as it stands!:thumbsup:

Street Smart

That thing would bring a premium should you decide to sell, I'd put it up like I never had it, somewhere dry and safe. Drag it out and put it on Ebay years down the line, it'll always hold it's value in that condition I would think. It's gotta be worth a small fortune as it stands!:thumbsup:
Thats not really me, but i can enjoy it just the way it sits. Get it running, take it out once in a while. My Bonanza has been around here about 15-16 years. We only really use it at the drag strip and swap meets.

Thats not really me, but i can enjoy it just the way it sits. Get it running, take it out once in a while. My Bonanza has been around here about 15-16 years. We only really use it at the drag strip and swap meets.
Charly ; I'll try to find you at the Etown S/M I'm sure you will remember me when you see me. You use to see me on the street and at R/C I'm (Spencer's friend) Joe Mig with the 78 T/A.
There were pleanty of mini bikes at the spring S/M .

Street Smart

Charly ; I'll try to find you at the Etown S/M I'm sure you will remember me when you see me. You use to see me on the street and at R/C I'm (Spencer's friend) Joe Mig with the 78 T/A.
There were pleanty of mini bikes at the spring S/M .
Hell ya i remember you, Gold T/A.
spoke to spence last week, seen his dad yesterday. I moved my shop into R.C. old building, about 7 years ago

Last edited:
Whether you decide to bend the Stellar bars or not, I'll post some pics in case someone else searches 'bending handlebars'...

The best way to bend the handlebars is to remove the tubes from the triple trees so the tubes will fit into a bender...it's a pain in the ass to cut them apart and weld them back together, but a bender won't leave flattening and bulging/kinking...

Heating with a torch will leave a flattened/stretched area in the back of the bend and a bulge or a kink on the inside of the bend...

A pie cut to remove the excess metal that bulged out can be made with a small cut saw...