Bent Steering Tube-Cut and Weld or Bend Back?

Even more ironic is I was all excited that I won the minibike until I got it home in the shop and decided to try and sit on it..... I am 6'2'' and need to be about 5'2'' to actually be able to ride it. Kind of burst my excitement bubble temporarily. But it didn't take long reading this Forum to get the flames fired up again. Eric built me a Savage and I am waiting to get the courage up to start on it. It is primed and sitting on top of an upright freezer in my shop. I still look at it every day that I am in the shop and smile. I think it will be a 2017 project.

Shop teacher stories..... Aaahhhhhh the memories. Mine was a retired Air Force C-130 flight instructor. He started out in the Army in Tanks. 2 years of that and he transferred to the Air Force. He was stationed in Germany during the late 50's. He was fascinated by the VW Beetle and took classes at the factory to learn about the car... until they learned he was a military trained instructor and put him to work teaching.... He told me story after story. We were pretty close. I had a good bit of knowledge about working on cars for a teenager. Had already been doing it since I was 8. So he told me about things he did in the military but never shared it with the class. During the early 60's he was in charge of the Motor Pool. He said that the Presidential motorcade would rotate from base to base every so many weeks, I wish I could remember the number. Well he was in charge of the motorcade in Dallas. He said he ate breakfast with the President and asked him at breakfast if he was sure that he didn't want to put the bubble on the car. President Kennedy told him NO in no uncertain terms. I always thought that that was one of his most interesting stories. He said that Lincoln was turbocharged and that it wouldn't run but 100 MPH but it would accelerate at an unbelievable rate to escape a dangerous situation. He said he got to ride the escape thing a ma jig... I don't remember what you call it. But its the harness that you wear and are attached to a balloon by a long tether. The C-130 flew over and captured the tether in the big V on the nose and snatched his behind off the ground. He said it was an experience that he didn't want to repeat after he was looking down at that C-130. I thought the world of him. He was a great guy. You brought back a flood of memories with that one Dave.

When he retired I took over his shop class. I had some big shoes to fill....

Last edited:
Thanks all for the great suggestions. This community is great. Lots of helpful people on here with loads of knowledge. Can't wait to dig into this project some more. I appreciate all the help. Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks to the suggestions here I was able to get the rake I wanted. I used the bottle jack as recommended by [MENTION=44694]bikebudy[/MENTION]. I could only get so far without heat. So I took the torch to it and got it to where it is now. Of course all the discoloration will be sanded and painted once I have everything dialed in. Thanks so much for the help!

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hi ! No, your not seeing double. I put the two photos together, to show how much he had moved the fork.

Good job Sir. :thumbsup:

Nice repair! Glad you attempted it, and thanks for posting the results. The next poor SOB that has a bent neck will certainly appreciate it.
...and thanks to the folks that chimed in with repair techniques. Not everyone has access to the same tools/equipment. Same goes for their different skill sets and comfort levels. There's a repair technique in this thread for everyone.

Joe