"Boonie" The make and model that started it all.

In the late 60's my Great Grandfather purchased a Boonie Bike for his 10 grand children. My mother was the oldest of 10, 5 girls then 5 boys. They had many years of fun with the Boonie and have many stories to tell. One of the most memorable is when my aunt drove the mini bike up the side of an old oak tree. The front fender suffered a dent from hitting the tree.

Fast forward to the mid 80's and that's where I come in. My uncle took the Boonie out of the barn and did a complete restoration and rebuild. A beautiful blue paint job on the frame with white wheels, fenders and 5hp Briggs. He did leave the dent in the fender which prompted many conversations. :laugh:

I don't remember my exact age but I was in grade school. My uncle asked if I wanted to ride the Boonie in the alley. Sure I said and hopped on, I twisted the throttle as far as it would go and off I went uncontrollably into a vacant lot where I dumped the mini :doah: I didn't get hurt but I did bend the foot peg pretty good.

I road that Boonie like crazy for several summers. It was fun at times and also aggravating at times because it seemed like I worked on it more than I road it. The clutch was junk and would slip a lot and the carburetor had a terrible hesitation when you gave it gas. In middle school my uncle bought me a Yamaha RT100 :thumbsup: after that I rarely road the Boonie. I found out my uncle sold it several years ago and I started to get nostalgic and wanted to buy one every since.

I picked this Boonie up today :thumbsup: It's mostly all there, missing the clutch cover and shifter w/cable. Its pitted some and the forks are slightly high speed. The clutch and chains came with it. The seats in nice shape and tire have lots of tread.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nate, the Boonie Bike was the beginning of it all for me too. That and Lil Indian. Somehow my dad acquired just the tube frame n fork back in 1968 from a GM vendor and brought it home. My brother still has it to this day but he's more pack rat than enthusiast, so there it sits.....:eek:ut:

Great find! Look forward to see you bring it back to life as you want it:thumbsup:

I enjoyed your story about the boonie bike. Glad you found another one.
Thanks Bob

Nate, the Boonie Bike was the beginning of it all for me too. That and Lil Indian. Somehow my dad acquired just the tube frame n fork back in 1968 from a GM vendor and brought it home. My brother still has it to this day but he's more pack rat than enthusiast, so there it sits.....:eek:ut:

Great find! Look forward to see you bring it back to life as you want it:thumbsup:
Yeah I kinda wish I had the one my uncle sold but this will do its job. Maybe this up coming winter I'll repaint this one blue and white.

Wow- its in pretty good shape. Esp the original seat and the 2-speed jackshaft is there. I remember having to work on that 2-speed all the time. I had a lot of spare springs. Those things broke regularly for me. And don't get me started on the great brakes either!!!!! I can't wait to find another one!!!
Steve

I got the Boonie in running order, just need to get a brake cable so I can stop :laugh: I still have to hook up a shifter cable for the 2 speed. I purchased a repo clutch cover months ago but I just purchased an original steel cover from a board member :thumbsup:

Attachments