Brake caliper to fit Cat Hpe Muskin???

markus

I did some searching the other day, but the threads that I could find are older and never really gave a definitive answer.

I'm looking for a brake caliper assy to work on a cat sprocket/exisiting bracket.

Anyone figured anything out yet? I'm moving along faster than I thought on this bike and need to start ordering parts etc..

thanks

Mac

I have a few of these Limtco calipers tucked away in my shed.
They fit pretty well after you level out the two tower-like mounting
hole humps with a drill or grinder, and add two 7/16"O.D.X5/16"I.D.X½"L
"floaters"(Dark spacer in lower rightside of picture).

.You can see I drilled one off for this picture above.

Oh Yeah, and this style has no big humps in the housing to interfere with mounting.

Last edited:
i used a standard ebay minibike caliper. just had to grind the housing center bump so it fits flat on the mount. doesnt really hurt it. and make a cable bracket. it does come pretty close to the tire

markus

thanks guys, I"ll guess I'll order up some of these suggested and see if I can make a go of it. Looks like I cant vary/go bigger on the rear tire size can I?

Biffmini

I used the K&H 210 M that was on the bike when i got it catpics 001.JPG Installed thread inserts in rear half.
Appropriate grinding to prevent sprocket rub. Extensive search for bushings to allow slight side to side movement. A sh** load of adjustment time
& a longer cable bracket. As I was informed by other members I ended up with with a poor performance brake! Hence all the high speed forks on these minis.
If I could do it over again I would have reworked with another type of brake set up! Witch is going to happen next spring, If I keep it.
This brake is not safe for inexperienced riders just sharing my opinion.

Biffmini

I'm all better now!
Just was looking at this old thread... I was able to get the brake adjusted & working much better than i thought i could at first. I was thinking this POS after all this work... won't stop on a dime, but much better :doah:
I just needed a little more patience & experience Sheesh I got all worked up over that thing. Its funny now looking back
:laugh: The thread inserts allowed the larger tire to clear, not by much but did work nicely.

Wow, old ass thread!
A lot has happened here since then...

The Cat Slingshot didn't have a disc brake. It originally had a drum brake that went inside the sprocket and mounted on the frame. That's probably why the disc brake didn't work for you because it wasn't designed for one to go on it.
Depends on the year, my Slingshot has a disc brake:

KIMG2025.JPG

Last edited:

FunWithStuff

Depends on the year, my Slingshot has a disc brake:

View attachment 311393
My cat is a 3x slingshot disc brakes is a 350x slingshot
So I looked into this some more and it looks like Cat did use different brake setups on the Slingshots so I was mostly wrong. I found an ad of what I believe was the very first Slingshot (maybe from 1970). I believe the orange "X3" decal was the very first production of the Slingshots. They changed it to a green decal shortly after. You can see this used a scrub brake:
1000003188.jpg

And it looks like Cat might have used the Drum brake on the second "X3" (which is what LxDMejia has and what is in the ad I posted above) and then went back to a scrub brake on the "X350" models. Because other photos I've found of the "X350" has scrub brakes. So maybe it was dependent on the year or maybe it was dependent on the model. That's my new best guess as to what brake they used.

I can find another sprocket to fit another project I got
You can check this site out. They have various hardware that was used on Cat bikes and they have some drum sprockets that Cats used:
https://www.bmikarts.com/Vintage-Minibike-Parts

The mounting tab by your sprocket in the photo is definitely a drum brake mounting tab and not a disc brake one so your bike used a drum brake.

So I looked into this some more and it looks like Cat did use different brake setups on the Slingshots so I was mostly wrong. I found an ad of what I believe was the very first Slingshot (maybe from 1970). I believe the orange "X3" decal was the very first production of the Slingshots. They changed it to a green decal shortly after. You can see this used a scrub brake:
View attachment 311427

And it looks like Cat might have used the Drum brake on the second "X3" (which is what LxDMejia has and what is in the ad I posted above) and then went back to a scrub brake on the "X350" models. Because other photos I've found of the "X350" has scrub brakes. So maybe it was dependent on the year or maybe it was dependent on the model. That's my new best guess as to what brake they used.

You can check this site out. They have various hardware that was used on Cat bikes and they have some drum sprockets that Cats used:
https://www.bmikarts.com/Vintage-Minibike-Parts

The mounting tab by your sprocket in the photo is definitely a drum brake mounting tab and not a disc brake one so your bike used a drum brake.
Screenshot_20240216_190414_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20240216_190916_Photos.jpg Screenshot_20240216_190922_Photos.jpg these are the only pictures of the stickers before I restored the bike x3 with 5hp briggs