Briggs 3.5hp

Hey guys

GOt a quick question..I Picked up an old MTD a few days ago that has a Briggs 3.5hp engine on it....it started OK...but not great....when I got home and put it in the garage, the next day I went in to work on it...and I put a little gas right into the sparkplug hole, just to get her fired off and running......I pulled the pull start, and it pulled about 6 inches and then locked up tight??????? I tried to pull it, as I thought vapor lock or something, but could not pull the starter over...I grabbed the engine shaft with a pair of vice grips and could just barely turn it.

Anyone know why it did this? Why is it locked up now????

Dan

oldfatguy

try taking the plug out and pull starting it, you might have put too much gas in the cylinder. buy a can of starting fluid it works better then pouring gas in it. If that isn't it then like someone else said, pull the cover off to see whats going on. I have had a mouse nest under the cover lock up an engine. The problem with mice is their pee is corrosive and will ruin an aluminum block.

When you brought it home, did you lay it on its side to get into into the Van/Car/Wagon? If so, you may have some oil in the upper cylinder, resulting in a hydro lock. Take the spark plug out and gently pull it through. Don't force it, you can bend or break something. It should pull through, if not, remove the shroud and check it again by moving the flywheel by hand. Take your time, you will find the problem. :wink:

great...I did indeed lay it down on the way home :doah:.....I'll pull it apart today and see if I can figure out what the heck is going on.

Ok guys....since I KNOW that the carbuerator on this Briggs isn't the original..heck I don't know if it's even a correct match up..I'd like to buy a carb for it, since I am doing some work to the engine now anyway.

Here is the info off the engine:
3hp B&S
MODEL: 80202
TYPE: 2917-01
CODE: 87012103

Hope you guys can point me to a good carb I can mate up with this engine.

Thanks

I am currently running a very old (mid 40's) tillotson on my 3hp Briggs, but you wouldn't happen to have a old 2.8hp (97cc) off a db30 kicking around would you? If so the carb on them actually runs well with a 3hp briggs. I have ran one, and it worked great. The linkage was a nightmare though. Even if you don't have one you could probly pick one up on the cheap. It does require welding your own manifold too.

you wouldn't happen to have a model, or serial number on that Tillotson you are running do you? I want a carb that will work with the briggs, but one that I can connect the stock gas tank to with some gas line..I don't want a carb that is built onto the top of a gas tank.

Dan