Briggs 5 HP, Awesome Sound Uncorked On Nice ARCO

pomfish

There is something distinctive about the sound of a Healthy 5HP Briggs that can't be reproduced by a Tecumseh when both are uncorked (Header).

From the Plop, Plop Idle to the Raaaaaaaap of full throttle winding out, it is just a unique sound.
It seems like the last 20 bikes I have had have all demanded Tec's because of the close proximity of the engine plate to the rear wheel.

That all changed this week when I began work on an Arco that the prev. owner had moved the engine plate forward and thus a Brigg's would work.
This engine I bought form a guy who said it was on his buddy's go cart. It had a header on it and the Governor was un hooked so I do not know if it is stock internally or not. But I can say it revs high and proud.
Pull cord broke on it and I had to replace the carb. diaphragm as the engine sat for a few years.
Also needed rear wheel bearings.

Love the paint on this little ARCO, bike just has a nice old school look to with just the one cable off the bars, foot brake works real well for a scrubber.

Hopefully I can upload pics of this bike.
Anyway, Enjoy!
Later,
Keith

Attachments

markus

Cool, I had picked this arco up on craiglist for $75 to part out a year or so ago. Before I ripped it apart I got it to run and took it for a spin, the long stepped pipe sound was really cool, it had A LOT of torque! I chickened out trying to take it wot, it just kept pulling.

Cool thing about the pipe too was it doubles as a kickstand :laugh:

pomfish

Update on this thing.
Put an OldMiniBikes clutch guard on it and strapped the GPS to the handlebars and it pulled 42 MPH and there was some left to go.
Damn fast that low to the ground.
Had two people stop today wanting to buy it, but both wanted it for kids (12) to ride in the yard and it has street tires and is too much IMHO for that age so I said , not the bike for you.
I need some slow bikes to sell :)

Just recently got a nice Baja Heat, good and slow, but want to hold onto that one as it has all the parts still on it that usually fall off.
Later,
Keith