Briggs and Stratton powered Honda Trail 70 :)

Most the trail bikes and small motorcycles that have been re powered by a Briggs or Tecumseh that I have come across were done because there were no other options.

All of them I have seen come from rural communities. Whats cheaper.... New engine from honda or Briggs and stratton from the general store?

Everyone I came across were done before the advent of the internet and cheap Lifan honda monkey bike replica engines..

So for little money they bought a used 5hp and $2 of welding rod and the kids were kept happy...

Oldsalt

The attached is a 70 that was given to me tore down into pieces. My question? Why do I see so many rice grinders with the tires still in nice shape but are not worth fixing? Too often there is no miles on them. The myth of Hon/Suz/Kaw reliability is BS. Most mini bikes, of the vintage of the pictured example, that I see, are on their 3rd set of tires. Often the org brakes have been worn out and a scrub brake has been scabed on. This thread has me thinking about a nice 7 HP Briggs that's just sitting on the shelf.

ryno

I was going to try and swap a 6.5 clone with a tav into a honda atc125 frame. the motor was shot, rusted tank and carb, seized top end, fried electronics. I got around to mocking it up but have been working on other projects more lately. It would have cost nearly $1k to buy all the parts needed to rebuild the stock honda motor, so i got a harbor frieght special and a tav30 for 1/3 of that cost.