Buyers Beware "Aplyedmind"

I bought an engine on Nov. 12 for $400.00 {incl. shipping} from OldMiniBikes member Mark "Aplyedmind". It took him 6 days to ship {too long in my book}. He later admitted he spent the $400.00 I paid him and had no $ to ship, which caused that delay. He also decided to save himself some $ and shipped it with NO insurance. When the engine arrived the box was full of oil. He never drained it, and did not secure the fill cap. The clutch was smashed in, the choke linkage was bent, and the header and intake were loose in the box banging against the engine the whole 3,000 mile trip with only a few "token" crumbled up newspapers used to secure everything in the box. In fact, the engine was so loose in the box it was freely "rolling" around inside. I was astounded he sent it like that, and UN-INSURED to boot. After I cleaned it all up, added gas/oil/fresh plug, it would not start. I spent $35.00 to have it looked at and was told it was blowing air OUT the intake rather than pulling air in. They had no luck starting it. Because it is a modded race engine they were not willing to work on it further. It has been 25 days since he's had the option of either *sending me a new clutch and $100.00 and I'd take my chances with the engine, or *offer something else to replace the engine, or *give me a full refund. He assured me he'd post some stuff for sale and make an effort to pay me back. He has not posted anything, offered me anything in its place, or sent me a nickel since. I've only heard back from him twice in the last 25 days, the last time was a week ago. I also asked him to contact the guy who built the motor for him. He never did. I would have preferred to not post this, but he brought it on himself by being so hard to get a hold of, and not DOING what he said he'd do and work this out with me. If anyone can get this engine going for me, please get in touch. I'll ship it right out to you.
Here's the description I was given by Mark on the engine... "Its a rebuilt , un run, Tecumseh H50 Stroker. It use to be a tappered crank motor but swap out with H60 Rod and crank. Also has Tecumseh Motorsports racing cam(spins up to 7000 rpm i've read), Tecumseh Motorsport valves and springs. Timing is advance 8* I believe. I have receipts for all the work. All the work was done by Terry Nash 4x world champion go kart driver and world builder."

Last edited:
Mr G, that's awful. I hope you get some restitution. Have you tried Googling the builder he posted to see if he has contact info? I think it would be best to go directly to the source if possible.

Wow, that's terrible.

That clutch had to take a hell of a hit to do that, like dropped off a counter w full weight of the engine on it. I'd almost be afraid it bent the crank or something as well.

catfishman

i ship out stuff at work everyday, i know at ups they drop 3 feet off a conveyer. funny thing is we ship alot of light bulbs, you can expect the bigger ones to broke evertime, especially if you mark them fragile glass.

An H50 motor with an H60 crank and rod make it an H60 both engines share the same bore.They are good engines and I have found they respond well to increased comp.We swapped the head gasket out with one we made from .016 copper and the motor liked it.:thumbsup:

Its on the red bike in this pic.The engine spins 5500RPM.

Last edited:
As per checking out the OldMiniBikes "Members List", it shows he was last on the forum on 12/15/2012. Aplyedmind, what have YOU got to say?
Michael

Engine was probably built by this guy. :thumbsup:

Nash's Go-Karts - Upland, CA
I completely concur with ED!:thumbsup: We have taken some engines to Nash's for machining and they REALLY know what they are doing and the prices are reasonable. Terry Nash is an "old school" kart racer/engine builder from back in the day. He has worked on the old Briggs and Tecumseh flatheads, Raptors, Briggs Animals, Tecumseh Stars, and now the clones. He has an assistant ("Dwight") who is an old experienced machinist who has forgotten more about engine building that most of us will ever know. This full-service shop has been open since the late 1970's. In addition, even though he is in his late 50's, Terry is an active kart racer, and recently won his class in a race out in Riverside. My son Jeff (The Ruppster 86 on this forum) had the good fortune of working as his pit crewman that day- what an experience!).
If you have no options locally, I would suggest that you consider shipping the engine to Nash's for an assessment and repair?
Michael

I have dealt with him before..he seemed very on the spot and I had no issues with him. But in the past I did go through the same issue with another member. It was excuses upon excuses..then he disapeared. It was to the point that I had to make a thread like this. The sad part is he finally shipped it and I received it in the same condition you got yours. But at that point I was just happy to finally get the motor at all. So I hope it all works out for you.