Choosing wheels, tires, and sprockets

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but I'm a first time mini bike builder, and I don't understand how you determine which size wheel to get. What are the factors you determine in choosing a wheel size? I guess I understand the tire needs to match the wheel size..same as a car. Then does the wheel size you choose determine the size sprocket? How do you choose which side you out the sprocket on? Any information on these questions will be helpful! Thank you!

CarPlayLB

Roogus, we are here to help!
What bike are you building?! That is the first step for us to help. Most of us stick with either what came stock on the bike, or if you are getting a kit, get what wheel you like. 6" wheels are the most popular. Sprocket size can be determined once you have selected tire size and what motor combo you are doing. A 6.5HP motor will take a smaller sprocket than a 2HP motor.

for me to choose a wheel I pick the prettiest that will fit the bike!

Thanks for the responce! I'm building an old Fox, but not going to go back to original stock. I'm going the custom route..lots of chrome, Predator motor, metal flake etc. I need to make up for it being my first build haha. I'm thinking of 6" wheels to get it closer to the ground..and like you I want the prettiest ones!!Does it work that way? Why does the sprocket size change with the motor size?

CarPlayLB

for a Fox I would use a 6" wheel and 4.10/3.50-6 tires. I don't know enough about the bike to know if 5.30/4.50-6 tires will fit. Those tires are for the bigger bikes.
The smaller motors will not have enough power to get you going with a smaller sprocket, whereas a Predator will have enough torque to get a smaller sprocket.
I like the Astro wheels...they have the old hot rodder look to them. Here is a combo that would be ok for you
https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/6-Astro-Wheel-Assembly-ASTROWHEELASSY-60.html

OldMiniBikes will have everything you need

That clears it up about the sprocket size thank you! What about what side to put the sprocket? Those wheels look awesome!! I'm thinking of doing white walls on the tires!! Thanks again for your help!!

CarPlayLB

I think the 60 tooth sprocket will be fine...unless you are 400 pounds and then you may want to consider the 72! The 72 will give you more low end, but limit the top speed. The 60 won't accelerate as fast, but will be faster speed wise.
The sprocket should run on the left hand side to line up with the clutch side of the motor. If the bike has a jackshaft, you can run the sprocket on either side

CarPlayLB

Oh Roogus...we're not done with you yet! You will have more questions for sure!
The incoming freshmen of 2015 have tried to overly complicate all the minibike stuff. Remember, when we were kids all of these things could be fixed with a screwdriver and pliers?! There are not many super top secret parts and unobtanium screws for these things. Don't overthink things and make this too complicated. You will have issues, we all have, but everything has a fix. If not, get a bigger hammer!
The sprocket I showed you uses #35 chain, buy a clutch that is for #35 chain. Your bike is probably set up for 5/8" axles. Standard bearings are very available. OldMiniBikes member Manchester1 makes the most awesome seats...my backside thanks her! If you want a nice seat, send her a PM.
Predators are very easy to hook up a throttle. There is probably a thread here about that. Search feature is your friend!
Don't respond to 8 year old posts. I believe a new member just set that record!

Most important thing to remember...have fun! that is why we are here...and to pick on the newbies!

buckeye

Fox, did I hear Ffffooooxx?
I like Foxes.
You should see my wife. Man when I met her 22 years ago, I was done with women. Just down on the beach in Alabama.
This cute little Fox caught my eye. Sweet Southern girl..

So yeah, I like Foxes. I have three, which is really a rookie.
I may be able to mislead you somehow.
Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
Pictires?

I'm sure I'll have more questions no doubt! I've already used a bigger hammer, a bigger punch, and a bigger wrench to get past all the rust on this poor old bike! You've really helped me with the wheel, clutch, and chain talk..all stuff I was unsure of. I did see the older posts, and wanted to comment, but saw the sticky suggesting not too! I've just started this project last Monday, but I'm already having a blast! I'll have to take pictures as I go along..I forgot to take one of it before I disassembled it haha!.

Buckeye.. Southern women are awesome..I have one too! I only have the one pic the guy texted me that was selling it..I forgot to take more before I disassembled it. Would you be able to I.D. which Fox I have? Do you have any pics of your I could see? I have to read how to upload pics still hahah
I probably can't go back to original, because of budget, and the parts seem hard to come by.

buckeye

Look through my pics.
I don't want to show off.:laugh:

Naah, just a bunch of old junk.
Thunderbolt spoked wheeled, Sprite, small little bugger, and Campus, still not completed yet.

george3

Look through my pics.
I don't want to show off.:laugh:

Naah, just a bunch of old junk.
Thunderbolt spoked wheeled, Sprite, small little bugger, and Campus, still not completed yet.
Look through my pics? How do you do that? That option is no longer avab.

i used 5" azusa wheels from OldMiniBikes, with a 60 tooth sprocket, a mamba jr cam really helps with low end, im 240lbs and have no issues taking off. I may eventually end up going with 6" however. But i like the small look with my frame. 12017528_10204776364277988_2554990385164282928_o.jpg

Wow Stargazer..that's a SWEET bike! I haven't seen many white ones..I was considering white..hmmm. I love the Shocker cut-out too!! That style is similar to what I thinking of doing. What is that canister with the blue hoses going to it? Thanks for sharing a pic!!!

Last edited: