chop or not????

would it be wrong to chop up my cat minibike to fit an 8hp briggs in it?(it needs more height to fit) of course i would do it nicely...
what are your thoughts, suggestions? :hack: or not?

thank you
alfalfa

Bad idea. :thumbdown:That frame is too small for that motor (too short) and not to mention the motor will not be centered to make the chain line up. It will have terrible lean, and then with all that torque from the big motor you will have to fight just to ride it.
I did the exact same thing years ago, stuffed the big Briggs in a small Lil Indian (after much cutting)and it was NO FUN to ride. The frame ended up in the scrap pile.

den35

I didn't have to cut into my DB30 to put an 8hp Tec on it,but Mark G is right.The balance will be totally out of whack unless you use a jackshaft to help center the motor.Even then it'll be an absolute beast to ride.

Personally,I wouldn't do it unless you're gonna lengthen the frame.At which point is it really worth doing?

well you guys don't have me convinced! i have a jack-shaft setup all thought out and i plan on gearing it for speed. i really want to hear your thoughts on chopping up old school metal. yes it is a ratty bike (many repair welds and dents bent forks etc....) <this bike has no hope..... and Mark G i plan on lengthening the bike too. < I want to do something similar to oldsalts's arco build

P.S. if you guys want ill post some pics

well you guys don't have me convinced! i have a jack-shaft setup all thought out and i plan on gearing it for speed. i really want to hear your thoughts on chopping up old school metal. yes it is a ratty bike (many repair welds and dents bent forks etc....) <this bike has no hope..... and Mark G i plan on lengthening the bike too. < I want to do something similar to oldsalts's arco build

Hey if it's junk if you don't do it, why not. Pics wouls be great.

thats true but i have so many frames that wont fit this engine i just want to use the engine for something and i really dont have enough room for another minibike! im up to 14 i think :eek:ut:

Alfalfa, Let me say right up front that I think you are an assh_le! Anyone who has been on this site since 2007 and has more than 130 posts certainly knows that chopping is a touchy subject with some of the members. It's obvious that you are just trying to make waves and stir up some crap. Anyone with an ounce of self-confidence wouldn't need to poll other OldMiniBikes members for their opinions as to whether to chop or not. They're your minibikes. All what was it?...14 of them. So do what the hell you want to do with them. You know in your mind that you've already decided what you're going to do with this mini and other people's opinions are not going to change your mind. So go ahead and chop it already and quit trying to be "cute".....Ogy

Oldsalt

Alfalfa

I think it usually wise to give careful thought before severely altering a 40 year old car or mini bike or gun. With that said, I have always taken the position that the owner has the right to do what ever he wants to something that he owns, especially if a lot of originals still exist. The world loses nothing.

If you decide to put the big block in the CAT bear in mind that a steel table, with a lay-out scribed on top, will be [absolutely] necessary to get the frame, after cutting apart, to again be straight and the steering head pointing exactly where it should. Eye-balling it won't work too well. Plumb bob, squares and etc. will have to be employed. I know you can do it, just don't get in a hurry.

I attached Before and After pics of my big block arco. The bike was given to me because it was laying in a field and was hit by a tractor pulling a disc. If it was not badly bent and smashed up I would not have streached it 4 inches and raised it 1-1/2 inches.

By the way, it rides and handled nicely. A very satisfying mini bike. And it's fairly quick/fast as I used a TAV drive.

thanks for the advice Oldsalt! don't worry I'm going to use squares,plumb bobs etc. i always do on all my welding projects.... anyways... I hope my bike turns out half as nice as yours! well i gotta go clutch hunting now!! cya

good one gto real mature be the bigger man won't yah?

Oldsalt

thanks for the advice Oldsalt! don't worry I'm going to use squares,plumb bobs etc. i always do on all my welding projects.... anyways... I hope my bike turns out half as nice as yours! well i gotta go clutch hunting now!! cya

good one gto real mature be the bigger man won't yah?
Alfalfa

Are you ever gonna stop it?