chop shop project

markus

I pulled this bike out today and started messing with it again. My buddy wanted a Taco so I made him a sweet deal on my Monster Frijole frame that I never did anything with. so that frees up My original Tab locs to use on this bike :thumbsup: I had welded the axles tabs on so it would sit level with tires of the same size on it though. I was thinking about cutting them again so I can level it off but I have stared at it for about 3 hours and I am good with rake now :laugh:

nice and rusty now:doah:

tab locs are pretty wide though, not to mention I will need to space the sprocket out just a touch off the lugs for my big NOS good year 5.30 (Boonie bike front tire). I tried fitting the drum brake setup but even if I cut the backing plate way down I wont have room for it :doah: so I am going to try what I had thought about for the taco as well, installing a 1968 Rupp disc brake assy on there.

Fun fact: the Rupp bolt pattern for the 68/69 sprockets are the same as the tab loc wheels :thumbsup: I got all the parts off a TT500 I parted out and I mixed and matched some front and rear pieces to make what I think will work the best. I do need to weld 2 tabs onto the inside of the axle mount for L bracket that keeps the floating caliper from rotating around the wheel. I will have to make it so It can slide with the wheel for chain adjustment. I am hoping it will stop the bike alright.

tight fit

Now I am trying to decide on a cool color. Since the Taco is now out of the equation all the ideas for that bike can go to this one. I had planed to build the taco styled like a street rod, so I guess I can do it all on this one now. Unfortunately the oval-ish shaped seat I had made for the Frijole does not fit the lines of this frame but I love the Oxblood color and feel of the material so when I come up with a seat style I may go with that material :thumbsup:

Really diggin' EVERYTHING about this bike: frame, motor, tank, wheels, and even that "rake" ! What color are you thinkin? I see Candy Grape :thumbsup:

markus

Ratfink, you thinking something along these lines or am I way off for a grape color :shrug:

Been trying to find Roadster type rods with Torque thrusts on them for some inspiration. Oh yea, I still have one AH61 left and that sideways megaphone pipe you helped me locate. I think that would fit the theme pretty good to and it will fit easy since the pegs are far engouh forward and the plate has the multi-slots

----
Carplay that seat was made by Rawtone out in your neck of the US, The guys in Cali actually make you a seat when they say they will....east coast builders, not so much.

----
Thanks everyone for checking it out, if you followed at all you know I tried just about every wheel they have ever made on this thing so far ( I even tried some 6 spoke Lomarts yesterday but did't snap any pics :laugh:) I SWEAR I'm sticking with the tablocs and going to move forward now :eek:ut:

markus

well I think I am at the stage were I am ready to start bodywork and paint!

Yesterday I finally permanently welded the lowers onto the forks, filled the wobbled out headtube holes and redrilled them, opened up the axle holes from 1/2" to 5/8", mocked up the wheels with correct spacers, and welded a tab to keep the brake caliper in place.

I was able to sit on it and roll it around without the wheels falling off :laugh:

Tight fit but there is enough space for the chain, adjustment is going to be limited from j/s to wheel though so I hope that's not going to be much of an issue!!

I also test fit a larger sprocket on the j/s to make sure I had enough room to play with gear size and still clear the exhaust and frame, hopefully if I have to make changes I can do it there and not on the output side.

Currently I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to gear it, last bike that west bend was on used a 4.10 size tire with a 60t sprocket. I thought I had packed the J/S away with the gears on it.....I robbed the gears one day so I cant remember what they were :facepalm: The ratio, whatever it was was not bad on that bike either....

I hope to get it geared a little better on this one but I wish I would have wrote those numbers down as a starting point :confused:

weather is nice down here right now, theres a couple good swapmeets this week though so I dont know how much I am going to get done.

markus

Remember this little fella???

after letting it flash rust up....twice! I decided I need to :001_9898: or get off the pot! I just had 2 other frames blasted and I dont want to have to sand them multiple times as well (love that FL humidity!) so one frame got stashed in the house in a closet for now, the other (barris Super stocker) I jumped on right away and got it in primer last night along with the forks for this bike. So soon as I finished priming those parts I grabbed this frame and started the finishing touches via some JB weld to smooth some areas up.

This AM I jumped on it and started sanding, couple of hours worth :no: just dumped a whole lot of Dupont nason select 2k primer on it hoping to cover up a world of sins!!

Got alot of block sanding ahead of me, fun to cut them up and weld all over them, not so fun to try and make it look pretty smooth afterwards :doah: I made up some round sanding blocks by drilling through a wood block and then slicing it down the center, gonna go to the store and replenish some sandpaper stock today...looks I will be spending easter sunday sanding

Just went through this whole thread, really diggin your build man. Before even seeing this I had pictured doing this to some frame in the future. Well done with how its turning out.

Todd

buckeye

Hey look, something else to work on. Your ADD caught this ones attention.
Very nice Marcus.
I'd rather be sanding than inlawing any day on Easter.