Cleaning Kidney Bean Rims

What does everyone use to clean their rims with?? I was going to put them in my blast cabinet and glass bead them but I think once blasted thay will have the wrong finish. What finish are they supposed to have?

Mine were in bad shape so I sandblasted and powdercoated mine to match my bike.I have now sanded the two ridges on the outside edge and they look great.

Without sounding funny I would have to say what you do to your rims depends on there present condition.
Bead blasting does change the finish to a dull but clean look.
Paint does look nice but I can't remember if Bonanza ever painted them.
I usually clean them with soap and water remove as much crap as I can.
Muriatic acid works but extreme caution must be used as it will turn the aluminum black.

Thanks for the replies. Bayarea, your right on the acid. You would have to be very careful. The rims are not in bad shape just want them to look like new.

If I buy used alloy rims that are just dirty and have minor corrosion, I'll clean them and polish with a product like Flitz or Marrs...

If they're painted or badly corroded, I'll blast with powdered glass and repaint or powdercoat...

These TrailHorse wheels recently got the blast and repaint treatment...the paint is powdered aluminum, so it's hard to tell they've been redone.

Last edited:

tomsprops

OK Here's the end to all of this discussion .I brought a batch of 10 wheels(20 halves) to a local Deburring company . All of these rims where very crusty,dirty or covered in paint .The deburring procces involves putting the rims in a drum full of a Medium and a liquid solvent that vibrates overnite . When the rims come out of the machine they have the perfect shine ! Just like brand new !
Here's the best part ! A batch of 10 rims(20 halves) is only $45 !!!:eek:hmy: That works out to $2.25 a half ! That's cheaper than elbow grease !:pimp:

OK Here's the end to all of this discussion .I brought a batch of 10 wheels(20 halves) to a local Deburring company . All of these rims where very crusty,dirty or covered in paint .The deburring procces involves putting the rims in a drum full of a Medium and a liquid solvent that vibrates overnite . When the rims come out of the machine they have the perfect shine ! Just like brand new !
Here's the best part ! A batch of 10 rims(20 halves) is only $45 !!!:eek:hmy: That works out to $2.25 a half ! That's cheaper than elbow grease !:pimp:
More details on this process???

tomsprops

I just dropped off my second batch yesterday .
2pr 6inch Gopowers
2pr 5inch Gopowers
4pr Taco rims
2pr early Taco tri-stars
I'll post photo's when i get them back on thursday .

Ya know?... good ole elbow greese is cheap and effective on about any project... I just sanded on mine with sand paper enough to knock of corrosion and stuff.. kept going over them with finer and finer grit, get into all the little nooks and crannys.. and mine turned out beautiful.. Aluminum will shine like chrome if you work with it enough...

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Tomsprops, you need to give more info. Name of the compamy, city, state and phone number. The bead blasting is easy for me as the blast cabinet is in my garage. But at $2.45 a rim and they look new you cant beat that. I actually have most of the stuff mentioned from the Flitz to blasting and even the Duplicolor silver rim paint. I guess it will be trail and error until I find what works and looks the best to me. Again thanks to everyone, this forum is great for this stuff.

Mike

The process that Tom is talking about is called Burnishing. I had a set of headers done with this process after they were hot coated. And what a difference it makes to the finish when it is done. And at that price that Tom mentioned that is a steal when you see the finished product.