Cleaning up Shocks and Springs

I was wondering if it would be okay to use a wire brush on a die grinder to clean paint and a little bit of surface rust off of some shocks and springs that have a chrome-looking finish to them? or will the wire brush damage them? FYI the wire brush isn't really stiff.

It might work , but be carefull that your wire wheel is rated for high RPM or you will be picking little bits of shrapnell out your self not fun trust me lol

oldfatguy

Code:
[img]http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1225/reynolds_restore_318.JPG[/img]
I use a soft wire wheel on a bench grinder type set up, with real lite pressure it does a great job cleaning up chrome. Then I finish them up on a buffing wheel. I clean all my rusted parts on this

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I think I will try it out on a old shock I have before using it on the ones for my project, I think it will work, like I said, it doesn't seem to be very stiff. Evaporust works good? does it? I have seen the stuff but haven't bought any yet, do you soak the parts in it?