Clone engine is it worth building it up???

was wondering why everyone encluding me,are spending big money thinking about or doing big upgrades to the clone,when it is concidered a throw away engine.

Way do we not just buy a stock Briggs animal for $500.00 or so new, and build from there,with a quality engine???

Anyone have any feedback???

thanx for your time....

125ccCrazy

Because the clones are pretty good qaulity engines and can be made to run really well and still hold up.... The difference in price can buy several hop up goodies...

mike04

just get u a briggs 5hp....put a flywheel from a 3hp briggs..remove the governer...shave the head get u a good clutch and bolt on.....and hup hup u go u will do:scooter:

just get u a briggs 5hp....put a flywheel from a 3hp briggs..remove the governer...shave the head get u a good clutch and bolt on.....and hup hup u go u will do:scooter:

Boy is that funny,I have a briggs 5hp I/c on my bench taken down,ready to be freshened up as we speak,i like the idea of hte 3 hp f.wheel..
thanx a bunch..

Because the clones are pretty good qaulity engines and can be made to run really well and still hold up.... The difference in price can buy several hop up goodies...

So,u are saying that if we allready have a new stock clone,we can create faster motor faster then the stock animal.,with just a few hop up goddies ie,rods cam ect.??

good clutch???

Mike,
what do u consider a good clutch,comet,max torque cheapo,max tt,max draggin skin,chetta??I am asking for a race kart applacation,just used for parking lots not racing...??

125ccCrazy

So,u are saying that if we allready have a new stock clone,we can create faster motor faster then the stock animal.,with just a few hop up goddies ie,rods cam ect.??
You asked why people buy a clone and build them up, they are cheap and very upgradeable... Now if you are talking about building a clone to the specs of an animal eng then yeah just buy the animal but if you are talking about race cam, billet rod, ect (race parts) then why buy an expensive engine when all the stock parts are gonna be replaced anyways??..... It all boils down to what ya want and how much money you have to play with....

mike04

5hp..with 3hp f.wheel..

yes u shuld... will work fine me and my frend just got one done 5hp briggs shave head exaust jet port.....governer remove 3hp f.wheel..good luck...
Boy is that funny,I have a briggs 5hp I/c on my bench taken down,ready to be freshened up as we speak,i like the idea of hte 3 hp f.wheel..
thanx a bunch..

was wondering why everyone encluding me,are spending big money thinking about or doing big upgrades to the clone,when it is concidered a throw away engine.

Way do we not just buy a stock Briggs animal for $500.00 or so new, and build from there,with a quality engine???

Anyone have any feedback???

thanx for your time....
only 1 .223 ar-15 you better stock up 4 is the least that you should have

clones rock, and at least you can hand pick every part that goes inside your grenade. besides its fun to build a better mouse trap

125ccCrazy

I'm not sure if it was the Briggs or the 6.5 Honda that I read somewhere a while back when using a smaller h.p flywheel it not only reduces weight but advances the timing as well??.. Anyone have any input on that??
When reducing the weight from the flywheel (rotating mass) you will gain rpm's and acceleration but loose some torque at bottom..

yes...

thas the ideal advance timindg a litle spull fast just do it on a briggs 5 hp u will remember me hahahaha:scooter:
I'm not sure if it was the Briggs or the 6.5 Honda that I read somewhere a while back when using a smaller h.p flywheel it not only reduces weight but advances the timing as well??.. Anyone have any input on that??
When reducing the weight from the flywheel (rotating mass) you will gain rpm's and acceleration but loose some torque at bottom..

advance timing

thas the ideal advance timindg a litle spull fast just do it on a briggs 5 hp u will remember me hahahaha:scooter:
Mike
I decided to grind down the key way a bit on my 5hp briggs,not having digital cal.not sure if I took the right amount off.Going to buy a 3degree key anyway when I order some heavier springs..what will happen if they key way is ground is say cut to small..
will the engine still fire up??

Thanx John

yes sir...

it will fire up remove governer don't forget.........
Mike
I decided to grind down the key way a bit on my 5hp briggs,not having digital cal.not sure if I took the right amount off.Going to buy a 3degree key anyway when I order some heavier springs..what will happen if they key way is ground is say cut to small..

Thanx John

125ccCrazy

only 1 .223 ar-15 you better stock up 4 is the least that you should have
what is that about????

Mike

Thanx John
what was the purpose of gridning the key down??, too thick for the groove in the 3hp flywheel?? or did you try to step the key to advance the timing??

the 3hp flywheel advances timing already on a 5hp briggs cams and carb are the biggest power adder with these the 5.5 honda fly wheel has more advance than th 6.5 but wheight is the same