Cold Months/Gas?

Hey Ya,
For those of you who put your mini's up for the winter months,do you empty out your gas tanks/carb? Or add a fuel stabilizer? Whats best? Thanks.

mybiz

Yep drain all it also dont hurt to buy a can of STA-BIL Fogging Oil and spray some in the throat of your carb use plenty so some will drip down into your bowl if you got one I just try to start all my motors every couple of weeks BUT!!! todays gas starts loosing its goodies with in a couple of weeks Gas dont smell or look like gas no more :thumbdown:

Oldsalt

Now that the eco-nazis in the federal government decided that up to 10% methanol can be added to our gas without labeling it would be best to assume that is what is in the tank of your lawnmower and mini bike and whatever. The problem is that alcohol is very hydroscopic, that is, it sucks up water from the atmosphere. When the gas and alcohol evaporate during the winter you will have only the water left in the fuel system. That will be a big problem by springtime. A well corroded system from tank to main jet. Strigoi has it right...drain the system. If the engine has a float type carb then you best start the engine and run it dry.

mybiz

I agree with you but really how many people take the time to do so. Or just keep putting it off I'm guilty of all and i run Opti-2 oil in all my 2 stroke motors you buy a small tube and 1gal gas and run it in any thing sometimes i dump some in my 4-stroke motors and it gives everything a thin coating of oil And a big plus in using this oil its smokeless oil But now days gas evaporates so fast it aint funny:doah:
Also a plus when people dont prep there engines for storage They post an ad in CL saying there whatever ran good the last time they used it but now it wont start so you buy a 1 year old piece of equipment for cheap i love them bargins:thumbsup:

Now that the eco-nazis in the federal government decided that up to 10% methanol can be added to our gas without labeling it would be best to assume that is what is in the tank of your lawnmower and mini bike and whatever. The problem is that alcohol is very hydroscopic, that is, it sucks up water from the atmosphere. When the gas and alcohol evaporate during the winter you will have only the water left in the fuel system. That will be a big problem by springtime. A well corroded system from tank to main jet. Strigoi has it right...drain the system. If the engine has a float type carb then you best start the engine and run it dry.
I always get my gas from Fred Meyers, no ethanol in it... :thumbsup:

I think he's talking about the Store Meijers, There In the Michigan and Ohio area. There like a super Walmart. But I think they get there gas from what ever refinery is closest to their stores. We have 4 Meijers in the Toledo area and I bet there fuel comes from Sun Or BP/Husky refinery here in Toledo.

My bikes I ride all the time I always run Fuel stabilizer in them all year long and leave it in the carbs through the winter. I end up ridding them through the winter anyways just not as much as the summer. The bike I have not been riding in a long time have had the gas remove and carbs drained. My garage is attached to the house and is heated so I never had a too much of a problem storing them.

We drain the tanks, fuel lines, and carbs. Everything is totally dry before reassembly then the bikes get put in the house. :thumbsup:
In the Spring it is just gas & go. :scooter:

I think he's talking about the Store Meijers, There In the Michigan and Ohio area. There like a super Walmart. But I think they get there gas from what ever refinery is closest to their stores. We have 4 Meijers in the Toledo area and I bet there fuel comes from Sun Or BP/Husky refinery here in Toledo.
Fred Meyer's is a chain of stores in WA and OR...

Oldsalt

There are three junk yards in my area. I make a habit of doing walk-throughs from time to time. The number of late model mowers and other gas powered machines in piles is crazy. I'm sure the reason is alcohol in the fuel eating up the carbs during the off season. The engines I have picked up for next to nothing price has born this out. When a cheap new mower can be had for 150 bucks, and the lawn is 4 inches high, and the computer wiz owner [but devoid of mechanical knowledge] has a sore arm trying to start his mower, and his ol' lady is bitching at him, he goes to wal-mart rather than the golf course.

I have read across many boards from cars,trucks to motorscooters.One product that is recommended for the gas/carb/lines is Sea Foam.I mean you simply add the sea foam 1 oz to 1 gallon of gas,run your engine for a bit and then just walk away.The gas is stabilized along with full protection of the gas related inside components.For a horizontal engine,I guess this would be the lazy mans way of doing it.No tools needed.he he