Cutting metal.

I have been making gussets and cutting spacers and pretty much cutting most of my metal with a sawzall or cutoff wheel. Some is 1/4" thick.
What is everyone using to get straight cuts when cutting stuff? I am debating on what to get next.
Band saw? Plasma cutter(but probably not)? Chop saw with different blade?post the pics of what you have.

I use the same, sawzall, cutoff wheel and hack saw. At work we have a few chop saws with carbide tipped blades. Those work well for choppin'. Has it's limitations though and blades are quite expensive.

I have a cheap horiz/vert china band saw that uses 64.5 inch blades. I have used it since 1986 and although it is cheaply made it has run flawlessly for 30 years and I make a lot of stuff. Cutting straight requires drawing the lines and keeping the blade from wandering when in horizontal mode. I also use a cheap HF chopsaw for cutting tube and up to 3" flat metal. If I were you I would get the horiz/vert metal saw they are much better made now even from china.

Metal Band Saw - Horizontal/Vertical Metal Band Saw

Plasma cutters do a great job. Very clean.
We have a local "artist" who does stuff in steel (decorative outdoor pieces) and then his wife airbrushes it.

Thinking of having him do some pieces for a concept I'm working on.

I have a big band saw, a cutting torch, die grinder, grinder, chop saw, and sawzall. I use the grinder more often than not cutting small brackets and things just because I like the control. A plasma cutter was on my list of next things to own before I was put on disability and I will have one, one of these days.

If you have the money for a plasma cutter (and air source) then by all means get one. Personally I would take one of those over all of the above for cutting anything except tube and pipe. Straight cuts in the round stuff I would pick a chop saw or band saw.

Last edited:
Randy. You would probably get the most use out of a band saw. Horizontal or hand held portable. Plus you only need 120 volt power for them. Portable you can go anywhere you want with it.

I have a plasma cutter and although i've seen people do amazing things with them I make nothing but non straight lines with them unless i make a guide for a straight cut. If you can draw good and have a steady hand then you will probably do well with a plasma cutter, me not so much.

I do a lot of cutting with my horizontal/vertical band saw. I used one that I borrowed form a buddy for a long while. My wife got me one of my own for Christmas. Not sure how I ever got along without one. If you've got a lot of metal to cut, and a band saw will do it, then I definitely recommend one. They cut a lot of metal with very little effort and very low maintenance cost.
Joe

I have been making gussets and cutting spacers and pretty much cutting most of my metal with a sawzall or cutoff wheel. Some is 1/4" thick.
What is everyone using to get straight cuts when cutting stuff? I am debating on what to get next.
Band saw? Plasma cutter(but probably not)? Chop saw with different blade?post the pics of what you have.
In my shop I have a Miller Plasma that cut capacity is 7/8 (almost never use it), a big victor oxy/acetylene torch (mostly use it with the rosebud to bend big thick things), an Ellis 1600 mitering horizontal band saw (use it a lot), a chop saw (never use it), a Roll In vertical band saw (needs repair), 8 or 10 hand held 4 1/2, 7 and a 9 inch grinders (use the 4 1/2's all the time every day, so much so that each one serves a different purpose. 1 with a cut off wheel, 1 with a stone, 1 with a flap wheel, 1 with a wire wheel, almost never use the 7's or 9, all are Milwaukie's too), Hacksaws, and the number one tool I use to cut brackets and patch panels and trim tubing and just cut almost anything that needs a quick cut is a Swag Off Road table for a Porta band. I have a deep throat Milwaukie band saw and after putting it in the Swag table with a foot switch, I don't know how I ever got anything done with out it.

A friend bought one because of using mine but he bought a cheap Horrible Freight band saw and it makes him very happy. The band saw is very loud compared to the Milwaukie too.

Here is the link to the Swag table. Small, portable and very very handy.

SWAG Portaband Tables

Best money you will ever spend for a shop tool that you didn't even know you needed.

Doug

Wanted to add that I also have an Evolution circular saw. It is mostly the reason the plasma is collecting dust....

But the cutting tool I use the most for fabrication is the Swag band saw table.

Last edited:
I like a mounted band saw..i use to have a job cutting thick metal stock.of course this was 40 years ago..you just set it and the weight setting kept it moving..just stood there watch it work..for small cuts cheap HF angle grinder w chop off blade..anyone fan of electric metal shear..cuts fairly thick sheet metal fast and shapes are easy ..not really cheap.but easier that hand cutting big pieces ...14 gauge 4 Amp Heavy Duty Metal Shears

You really need a few different options but a plasma cutter is good and versatile but has it's limits. A chop saw and angle grinder or cut off wheel work fairly well for a large range of tasks. A band saw is fantastic and if you have the space and $ to get a quality unit they are worth having without question. I like a good old fashion torch or my Tiger Saw recip. monster with a Milwaukee torch straight blade from Home Depot for heavy work. Lots of ways but no one tool or method to cover all tasks but one can hack away I suppose, I've done some amazing things in a pinch of for lack of having the right things.

Last edited:
Ok. So that is not a saw. Just the table portion,correct? Then you buy the portable saw to mount to it?
Go straight to the source Randy. Buy it from SWAG SWAG Portaband Tables Good guys to deal with and some very well made products. And yes it is just the table and you will have to buy a Band saw to install in it. Also get you a momentary contact foot pedal so you can just walk up to it and use both hands. Swag sells a foot pedal for them or you could snag a pedal on Ebay. I wired my pedal with a 6 foot power cord and a 2 foot out going cord to a 2 gang socket so you can have the saw and a light both activated by the pedal.

If you can afford it go ahead and buy a good portaband too. A brand name you recognize is all you need. Dewalt or Milwaukie would be my pick with the later being my first choice.

Money well spent in my book.

Doug

Last edited: