Cutting Threads

Mr X

so i wanted to thread some stuff in the past, just some regular mild steel round stock. but i was told that i cant just use the tap and die set i have to do this, i was told i need 3 different taps to thread this rod. so im just wondering if anyone here knows what exactly i need.

i want to get a 5/8 tap so i can make my own axles and steering bolts because it will be cheaper this way. also i wont have to go to a store to buy this or order it. also i can make my own lengths right away without modifying anything.

i would take it to a shop and have them do some thread cutting for you on a lathe. would be nice and fast also. and who knows its something simple enough where they might not charge you if u go to the right guy.

Oldsalt

so i wanted to thread some stuff in the past, just some regular mild steel round stock. but i was told that i cant just use the tap and die set i have to do this, i was told i need 3 different taps to thread this rod. so im just wondering if anyone here knows what exactly i need.

i want to get a 5/8 tap so i can make my own axles and steering bolts because it will be cheaper this way. also i wont have to go to a store to buy this or order it. also i can make my own lengths right away without modifying anything.
I guess you mean to put threads on the outside of a 5/8 round. That would require a die. The guy who told you it requires a set of three to make threads [ether inside a hole useing a tap or outside a rod useing a die] was wrong. There is the rare case of Acme thread that requires a set of two taps, but thats another story alltogether. Mini bike axles are generally fine thread. That is 5/8-18. The 18 is threads per inch. Course is 5/8-11.

Do it!

Dear Mr. X, I cut 5/8-18 thread on 1018 steel rod all the time using a single die. Be sure to use plenty of cutting oil, only go a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn at a time, then back the die off a turn to break the chips. Although people tell me it's not necessary; I use a small brush and a spray lubricant to clean out the chips after each turn. And after several full turns I'll clean out the chips, back the die completely off of the rod and clean out both the die and the threads on the workpiece. Makes a nice clean thread. Work slow and advance slowly. Ogy

You also need to start the die cutting straight. If you're off a little, it will be nearly impossible to correct. Once it starts cutting, it will follow the lead of the first teeth.

Mr X

thanks for the help, i tried to search for these sets of dies and taps like i was told and didnt find any so i got confused. also i searched around and found a site which explains about going slow and cutting the chips and stuff. also i have some sort of industrial spray lubricant my dad got me from work. it says for drilling and thread cutting.

If you're making 5/8" axles, you can also drill and tap the round bar instead of cutting external threads...the internal threads give the axle a 'cleaner' look IMO...I use 1/4" x 20 tpi for 5/8" axles and install stainless allen head screws or button heads over fender washers.

Works great for jackshafts also...

i thought of doing a the bolt thing but i dont have access to a lathe and it would be very hard for me to drill it straight with a drill press.