Does anyplace make a performance clutch with dual gears?

125ccCrazy

I have a 2 speed jackshaft set up I'm putting on a build but I'd like to get a better driven clutch, something that will handle alot more power... I haven't ever seen a performance clutch with dual gears, has anyone else possibly come across one??? If so any info or links to it would be great...

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

why dont you run tav. then you could sell the comet two speed to me, for a project I have that is too small for a tav.
a Tav wouldnt look right on this bike plus I dont want that big bulky plate hanging off the side of the engine.. I'm building a bonanza, I want to do a resto/custom on it... I've seen some bonanzas with tavs and I just dont care for the way they look with the factory jackshaft, when I'm done with my build the 2 speed set up will look almost factory...

Brandt with Ruppparts has two speed front clutchs, he has had them on ebay. There 85 bucks though.
I have a clutch but it's not what I'd call a performance part, it's a two gear but your basic rattler... I want something more like a kart clutch with HD shoes or discs and adjustable springs...

nope I also looked for a while, but could not find one.
With the removable cogs on the racing clutches couldn't a mechanist make a two toothed cog? I'm sure it can be done.
Just a thought? That's what I would do if I was going that route with a big HP engine..
:scooter:

Just something else, if you go that route you will need to either tame down you driver or really stiffen up the driven 2 speed clutch. Other wise it will be engaging about the same time you get lock up out of the driver. So in essence you would have a high geared bike insted of a two speed.
Possibly? If that makes sense?

Last edited:

125ccCrazy

With the removable cogs on the racing clutches couldn't a mechanist make a two toothed cog? I'm sure it can be done.
Just a thought? That's what I would do if I was going that route with a big HP engine..
:scooter:

Just something else, if you go that route you will need to either tame down you driver or really stiffen up the driven 2 speed clutch. Other wise it will be engaging about the same time you get lock up out of the driver. So in essence you would have a high geared bike insted of a two speed.
Possibly? If that makes sense?
The driver wouldnt be set to engage at high rpms for launching so by the time the rpms reached thier desired rpm on the diven clutch the driver would have been fully locked.... I was thinking about the driven clutch and stiffer springs to play with engagment at different rpms to get it dialed in...

Depending on the style clutch I'm sure someone with a machine shop could possibly make up a gear set but unfortunately I dont know of anyone and to just walk in a shop they'd probably want way too much to tackle the job being they will have to pay an employee X amount of dollars an hour, set up time, ect...

There's some pretty sharp machinist right here at OldMiniBikes. It wont hurt to ask around. With a couple photos and a explanation "he" would know what you want. And would be able to say, yes or no. That's one advantage to dealing with a minibike enthusiast. I know what you mean about walking into a foreign shop, sometimes they look at you like your waisting there time. Where as with a minibike person, they "understand."
You gotta pay to play? Right?

I don't see why you couldn't play with the springs on both clutches.

And George I have a set with 15 min on them. :thumbsup: Looks like BMI raised their prices on them now too. :doah: I don't like the two chains, noisy and a pain to get the slack out of both of them evenly.

125ccCrazy

I don't know if you would be able to make any thing work , but some snowmobiles have double and triple chain and gears.
Those chains won't work due to the fact the jackshaft has two differnt size gears for the 2 speed, one chain has to be shorter than the other becuase of the difference in gear sizes..... Now if you just wanted a heavy duty chain set up with dual gears and ran all the same size sprockets it would work, kind of like a Harley.... That would look cool...

Is it the drive clutch or the driven clutch your looking for? The 2 sprocket clutch is the drive clutch.What I have done in the past is interpolate machine the 2 spocket unit out of the clutch bell of the clutch I didnt want to use,then I machined the single sprocket out of the clutch I did want to use to the size hole to fit the 2 sprocket gear unit.I made this a slight press fit.I then silver brazed the assembly together and it worked great.Just thought id let you know this is an option,but you need a CNC machine,or it could be done on a Lathe.:scooter::smile:

125ccCrazy

Is it the drive clutch or the driven clutch your looking for? The 2 sprocket clutch is the drive clutch.What I have done in the past is interpolate machine the 2 spocket unit out of the clutch bell of the clutch I didnt want to use,then I machined the single sprocket out of the clutch I did want to use to the size hole to fit the 2 sprocket gear unit.I made this a slight press fit.I then silver brazed the assembly together and it worked great.Just thought id let you know this is an option,but you need a CNC machine,or it could be done on a Lathe.:scooter::smile:
I want a performance driver clutch with dual gears.... I don't have access to neither a cnc or metal lathe....:sadcrying4: