Dog eat dog world.

Tomas

Just had a Flexo snatched from under me #*$@!. It was listed for $150.00 I called from work seller still had it at 3:45 pm I was at sellers house by 4:30pm and seller says he just sold it when I drove up . I think he still had it but was just offered more $.

either could have happened in 45 minutes.

bummer either way!

Money in the hand and bike in the truck is all that really matters in this old world to most, sellers aren't your friends!

buckeye

Oh I can completely relate but, thankfully my story had a happier ending. If you are bored read my what cha think thread.

the same thing happend to me at the ann arbor show, by a buddy of mine and a member here! it was a ct70 and the seller was calling me he was bringing it to the show for me and he was also calling my friend, well he got to it first so? thats just how it goes and no biggie there is alot more out there! its happened to the best of us!

I've lost out on a few things. I drove 2 hours one way to pick up a Hodaka Bonanza and the guy got a better offer while I was driving and quit anbswering his phone by the time I got there. I waited around for an hour tring to keep calling before I decided I got chumped. 5 hours and a LOT of gas wasted in my 9.5 MPG Chevy 4x4 that night

Got chumped on a Mickey Bike that I thought I had a deal on as well. Drove 2 ours round trip on that one...and the worse part is that the guy had been to my shop the week before when I sold him a GTO hood...and he saw all the classic cars and minibikes then. Seems he should have known I was serious. Can't wait until he needs to do the 2 hour drive on another Pontiac part

I've actually offered people extra money to hold things for me though. Got a guy to hold my Steens Lil Pal for several days. But then again he may never have even gotten another call for all I know. It is rough as hell and I didn't even recognize it for what it was until I looked at it a few times.

Last edited:
On the other side of the coin I tried to buy a gun safe off craigslist last week, and they kept telling me that someone was coming to pick it up that night. It was so refreshing to hear that that I didn't even try to offer more. Probably the only guy in the world to do that.

But then again I can't blame a person to take the cash when they can....

Just had a Flexo snatched from under me #*$@!. It was listed for $150.00 I called from work seller still had it at 3:45 pm I was at sellers house by 4:30pm and seller says he just sold it when I drove up . I think he still had it but was just offered more $.
Shouldn't happen if the seller has any integrity.Also, did you have a verbal agreement with him to hold it for you? Don't think it's dog eat dog..I think it's dog honoring a binding verbal agreement.:eek:ut:

Shouldn't happen if the seller has any integrity.
Unfortunately there's no expectation of holding anything for anyone when it comes to craigslist, swapmeets, ect.

Really not even here other than you might get ran off for playing games due to the tight community here and at other enthusiast type boards.

Unfortunately there's no expectation of holding anything for anyone when it comes to craigslist, swapmeets, ect.

Really not even here other than you might get ran off for playing games due to the tight community here and at other enthusiast type boards.
That's good to know. Remind me to offer you something for sale only to sell it to someone else because I got a better deal..That's not capitalism, that's being a A hole.That hasn't been my experience here.But if that's the prevailing attitude, I've got some great deals for you.:thumbsup:

oldfatguy

that's how I got my Arco on craigslist. the seller said that someone wanted it a was going to come and pick it up. I asked him if I can have it if I got there first, he said the first one to put the cash in his hand gets it. Well the old fat guy did some fast driving, put the bike in the truck and got the hell out of there before anyone else showed up. And drove home with a nice roller for 50 bucks. The seller just wants the item gone and money in his hand most will take a sure sell rather then wait on a guy that might not show up.

the same thing happend to me at the ann arbor show, by a buddy of mine and a member here! it was a ct70 and the seller was calling me he was bringing it to the show for me and he was also calling my friend, well he got to it first so? thats just how it goes and no biggie there is alot more out there! its happened to the best of us!
did he like ruttman sypders cause sounds just like what happened to me.

That's good to know. Remind me to offer you something for sale only to sell it to someone else because I got a better deal..That's not capitalism, that's being a A hole.That hasn't been my experience here.But if that's the prevailing attitude, I've got some great deals for you.:thumbsup:
I think I explained that it's a little different here. On craigslist and anywhere else in the world where the 2 parties didn't know each other beforehand and don't plan to hang out afterwards then there is no expectations. If a deposit is taken then that's crummy, but just because I saw something on craigslist doesn't mean I expect them to hold it. I've lost out on some deals myself like I stated earlier, but I still don't expect strangers to have any kind of honor towards me.

But I expect that you know that and are just trolling as usual. Do you troll craigslist too?

I used to try and by mini's on CL.i would even check all the surounding areas. i would even use my phone and check them a few times an hour. I gave up after a few deals like this one it also seems like there are alot of people watching them here in socal. my last experince i had found a fairly rare mini. guy was asking 200 i told him it was worth more to me and i would feel bad so i offerd him 250 he said wow great come get it the mini was about 30 mins aways so i hopped in the car and drove to get it. i get about half way there and he calls me to say that some else called and offerd him more and he was now accepting bids I said f that and went home two days later it was listed on ebay by the guy who bought it. funny thing is he only ended up getting 300 bucks turns out the mini was in worse shape then the guy had lett on.

I think I explained that it's a little different here. On craigslist and anywhere else in the world where the 2 parties didn't know each other beforehand and don't plan to hang out afterwards then there is no expectations. If a deposit is taken then that's crummy, but just because I saw something on craigslist doesn't mean I expect them to hold it. I've lost out on some deals myself like I stated earlier, but I still don't expect strangers to have any kind of honor towards me.

But I expect that you know that and are just trolling as usual. Do you troll craigslist too?
I'm not sure what you mean by the term trolling. I don't buy off craigslist either. I do know about honesty,integrity and honoring your word. Principles and guidelines I try to live by,regardless of the profit margin.If your a business man that lacks ethics, your not going to be in business very long. But hey,what do I know, I'm just a stranger trolling..

Tomas

I don't know I guess it's just some thing I'll just have to get used to now with the growing popularity of our hobby. I'm usually the the one that's all over a new listing and didn't think the 15 -20 min stuck at work would have made the diffrence.

IIve learned you cant dwell on what you missed or cant afford(which for me is alot :doah:). Just keep looking for what you can.:thumbsup:

Shows like pawn stars American pickers don't help either people see them going for crazy prices (which are usually crazy inflated) so instead of putting them on CL they throw them on eBay. Not a big deal it's our economy works iv just noticed fewer old minis on CL since those shows came on.

On another note those bars look more like the older go kart cycle bars my flexo has taller handle bars. The go kart cycle green horn and big bear scrambler had shorter bars like those