Doodle Bug

I inherited my Grandfathers doodlebug. Its been though the ringer however was used when he was in the air force. It was painted green for his use in the Military. He often took it with him on the plane from place to place. Anyway I am new to these bikes and would love any suggestions to where to get parts and how to restore.

Here are some pictures.

Gramps on his Hiawatha Doodlebug

Doodlebug Snow plow

Here is the link to the complete Album as I am not sure if these photos will display properly

Picasa Web Albums - Sourceminer - 1949 Hiawatha...

Last edited by a moderator:
sand blasting saves alot of time. and while your at it have it powder coated as well its strong and alot better then paint. and id rebuild that motor if its original to the bike. you dont see them everyday and the more original it is the more its worth.

Thanks, I got a few quotes seems 100 bucks will sand blast and powder coat the frame. Monday I will be taking it in for the job. I am thinking about coloring it the same color it was "RED" I noticed that some of the welded brackets seem to be missing/broken is there an expert that can clearify?

As per the engine, I cannot seem to find a serial or type anywhere. Looks like it may be a Briggs but again not certain.

What a score, your grandfathers Doodle bug, that makes it unsellable, what a lucky guy and it is one of the most valuable minis out there, my oldest brother had one when we were kids, he's 67 years old now, it's the only mini I saw growing up other than once a year at sears when I got my one pair of shoes for school, I would have killed for one but it was'nt in the budget.

So I ended up taking it all the way over to my uncles house across the street to help with some welding and grinding. He restores old cars and has all the big boy tools. I spent all weekend stripping it down and grinding down some of the pits. Both my uncle and I are trying to find a great schematic of sorts to help with the repair/restore. Does anyone have any clues where to find this? I will post more photos when the day is over.

Thanks Randy for your images!! They will help alot with the re-welds.

Oh yes I should also mention I have been in touch with Don, Crossing my fingers I can get all the missing parts from him.
Would like to try and slavage most of the stuff, like the Foot plate. My Grandfather put in his own break system. We will have to undo this and patch it up with another sheet.

Excuse me if I am asking questions in the wrong place. I noted the rules about this part of the forum, I suppose I can create another topic in the general area for questions if that is needed.

Last edited:

Oldsalt

I have been collecting parts for my Doodle Bug. Now have anout all I need. I have an engine that is close to original but without the kick starter arraingment. The bike was given to me by an old friend. Many years ago I gave him his first Cushman scooter that I didn't want. Now he has a massive collection of them. He knew I was looking of a Doodle Bug so he called me up and told me to come and get it. We now live 900 miles apart. I was on the road within two hours.

Don had a complete engine $1900. Probably should have bought it. But have other projects that require cash outlays and the Doodle Bug was not at the top of the list at that moment.

Made up my mind that I'm gonna put it together with out really restoring it. But, of course, nothing original will be altered. There's not one person out of 10 millon that would know whether it is totally original or not. Don't powder coat the frame. That might be O.K. for a Rupp or some such minibike that's not rare but would a mistake for an antique. That machine is considerably more than 60 years old. If you need closeup pics of brackets and etc I can send them.

I got mine licensed for the street. I am going to equip it with lights and ride it on the street. You can too because they were licensable way back then. Is the serial tag still on the steering head? You will need a serial number to get it done.

Old Salt that is awesome I am hoping I can get it licensed... still in search however for the tags. Gramps took off everything as he had ambitions of rebuilding it, like his 1932 Vicky.

Also Grams just found this photo today, Love this one as he is stationed in Alaska and plowing though the snow.

Last edited:
Well I placed my order with Don Jackson today, Excited to get it all togeather. Hoping for the Weekend. Oh wait bummer will have to put the bike back togeather after the baby is born....

Ok weekend warriors... Spent a day on the Doodlebug yesterday. Here is the progress:

Metal work on the frame (sealing up holes etc)

After lots of grinding and polishing, the frame is looking better every weekend.

Had to bend the frame back into place as these bugs shift over the years, the gooseneck is back at 65 Deg.

The Fender is looking beautiful!!! This wins the weekend feel good award. Going to do more sanding, followed by more primer and then paint.

Wheels are ready for paint.

Next we wait anxiously for the shippment from Don Jackson at Yesterdays rides for all the missing parts, along with a new engine. I was hoping to have all parts this weekend however the tires took a bit longer, and shipment wasnt sent out till Thursday by UPS ground. So until next weekened...

That's a great project, Love the old photos, And welcome to OldMiniBikes. It is very cool you still have it in the family. I would have left the brake system the way grandpa modified it. If your intention are to keep it in the family, then it does not effect the value of it. I have my grandpa's old Bolens tractor and he added a few things to it. I leave it the way he wanted it. Just for sentimental reasons. I have some old photos of my grandpa on the one and only motorcycle he owned, It was a old Harley he had after he got out of the navy in WW2. He never own one after that. do not now why.