Drilling & Tapping Crankshaft made easy

george3

I dont think they would be a big seller. not saying It is not a great tool just not a big seller. But you never know. I think everybody that works on alot of mini bikes should have one. I think you should make a one size fits all, 5/8, 3/4, and 1" the inside will have size steps. One tool malti task will be able to do all cranks. You can make the steps as short as 3/4" deep of a total of 2 1/4 total length plus the length of the drill guid of 2".

george3

I think the multi tool will sell and worth your time. Maybe a longer than 2" guide maybe like 3" guide. For the different size drill bits, for the different shafts just use a sleeve. Just some different ideas fot ya.

That's not the whole skinny

You asked a question. (sounded Greedy to me BTW) I answered. I have been a machinist for almost 30 years and I know what it takes to make these. I built my first set for a tapered crankshat (ignition side) off a old Husqvarna back in 1985. After I fixed a parts bike I got that someone had snapped off the threaded end, I started fixing crankshafts for other Husky guy's at $10 a pop. That was for my time and for the washer and the left hand bolt. Now since around 1998 I started a free rental program, Send $25 and I ship you the tools, When you send them back I refund your money, less the original shipping.
Now I know your drill & tap guide is different from what I do. but yours is very simple to make. The average Joe might use this tool 2-3 times in a life time.
Are you making them on a CNC? Let see looks like 1" bar stock so you have material, then 1/2 hour set up time. One hour machine time since this is a three tool job should get you about 50+ sets. Now the question is what are you willing to make them for?????????????
Tommie d : Well if you just take a look at relative issues here the labor force in Wichita, Kansas is far different than the labor and cost of living in Hillsboro, Oregon 97124 with a population 5 times bigger than Wichita and only 3.1 % unemployed and 6.1 % below the national poverty line and a median household annual income of $55,051.00. Where as in Wichita, Kansas has 12.2 % unemployed and 39.6 % population that live below the national poverty level and a Median household income of $17,384.00 , not in any way making any statements against the fine State of Kansas or any of it's city's or people the reside there.
So an apple to apple comparison of the two would never be comparable and the issue of quality work is not even discussable. The shop in Hillsboro makes parts for electron microscopes to the extreme tolerances required 100% of the time.
Take a look on ZIPskinny - Get the Skinny on that ZIP (demographics by ZIP Code) and you will be enlightened by the way I live in 97229
Steve :scooter:

I like the idea of having an all purpose tool to drill and tap all sizes of crankshafts, I have two to modify right now. Sign me up with a 'kit' when they come available.

yup i think a stepped sleve would be the way to go. And is the tap sleve really nesessary? Id think if you have a straight hole the tap would follow it well once you get it started

I like the idea of having an all purpose tool to drill and tap all sizes of crankshafts, I have two to modify right now. Sign me up with a 'kit' when they come available.
Well I think you need to contact "tommie d". He says he can make 50 sets in an hour and a half and the kits should be $5. When (if) he follows through.....I'm gonna buy mine from him.:thumbsup:

Wow didn't mean to piss in your post toasties. Now go back and reread the thread.
Yes I made a smartazz $5 offer to your post because when someone says "what are people Willing to pay" it sounds kinda greedy to me. Please forgive me if it offended you. If I needed one real bad I would just go out to the garage and make one on my 9" South Bend lathe. You already know what these will cost you to make and what you want for them. If you want to know what people are willing to pay for them, put them on Ebay. I asked what you wanted for them and so did a few others and you have not answered.

No, I did Not say I would make these for $5 or any amount for that matter. And the "kit" idea I had was directed to you. I thought it might be a good idea for people that wanted a tool for different size crankshafts. But it was just a idea. And yes some people on here liked that idea.

I did say I know what it takes to make your drill guides, and I do. I did not come back and "Slam" you (like you just did me) when you told me it was a four tool job and you used a reamer and also handed it off to a sub spindle for face off. I have seen your shops work btw and it looks AAA+++. If I were going to do it, (and i'm only saying) I would cut out the reamer and use a carbide drill to begin with and with the proper speeds & feeds you can get a nice 63 finish or there abouts with the correct part off tool. The operator can deburr the hole on the back side. Were in the business of cutting chips, not air are we not?

Yes there are some shops out there that could make your drill guide that fast. Now I also know not all shops have the latest & greatest equipment out today. The lord knows were still running ten+ year old machines and were part owned by Goldman Sachs & Onex Corporation. Go figure.

To answer a few of your questions you asked earlier. yes i'm kinda new here btw, been lurking around for a while before I joined. And yes I have seen your products you make for the mini bikes and I do have to say they look like top quality parts. Someday I hope to build a Bonanza mini bike with my boys and if I need any of the parts you make I would not have a problem buying them here from OldMiniBikes.

Now can we just call a truce and get back to regular programing. Have a Great Day!

Holy smokes. I need one of these. I have a h35 with a 5/8" PTO that is not drilled or tapped. I want to put it on my son's mini bike with a TAV2. I can't do that until the crank if fixed.

Wow did this thread take a wrong turn or what?
Not to stir up dirt or kick up dust that has settled...BUT
I felt the need to ring my 2 cents in on this one.
Let me first say this is not to piss in anyones post toasties or whatever brand of breakfast cereal you prefer to eat in the morning.
With that said I would like to state for the record that I know Scooterboy personally and can vouch for his integrity as well as his character a kinder, more compassionate, helpfully, and honest person you will NEVER find he is the furthest thing from greedy as black is from the color white. And one last thing with only 67 posts under ones belt I might suggest checking ones attitude at the door.:thumbsup:

This post didn't come out quite like I hoped... I quoted tommie d and put my replies in red.....
Wow didn't mean to piss in your post toasties. Now go back and reread the thread.
Yes I made a smartazz $5 offer to your post because when someone says "what are people Willing to pay" it sounds kinda greedy to me. Please forgive me if it offended you. If I needed one real bad I would just go out to the garage and make one on my 9" South Bend lathe. You already know what these will cost you to make and what you want for them. If you want to know what people are willing to pay for them, put them on Ebay. I asked what you wanted for them and so did a few others and you have not answered.
As busy as I've been at work lately....I haven't sat down and penciled this one out yet. Material cost, labor, the drills, the taps, inventory cost, and what qty to make. My time never gets added in to the equation.
No, I did Not say I would make these for $5 or any amount for that matter. And the "kit" idea I had was directed to you. I thought it might be a good idea for people that wanted a tool for different size crankshafts. But it was just a idea. And yes some people on here liked that idea.

I don't just jump in to things.....already you brought up the sleeved version and I like it. Time to re-think the project.

I did say I know what it takes to make your drill guides, and I do. I did not come back and "Slam" you (like you just did me) when you told me it was a four tool job and you used a reamer and also handed it off to a sub spindle for face off. I have seen your shops work btw and it looks AAA+++. If I were going to do it, (and i'm only saying) I would cut out the reamer and use a carbide drill to begin with and with the proper speeds & feeds you can get a nice 63 finish or there abouts with the correct part off tool. The operator can deburr the hole on the back side. Were in the business of cutting chips, not air are we not?

Yes there are some shops out there that could make your drill guide that fast. Now I also know not all shops have the latest & greatest equipment out today. The lord knows were still running ten+ year old machines and were part owned by Goldman Sachs & Onex Corporation. Go figure.

My guys will only make nice, quality parts. If I ask for "quick and dirty" as we call in our shop, I won't get it. They will take little bit of extra time and make it "nice". I don't come down on them for that......ever. I stress quality first....no exceptions. Our customer base is made up of Electron Microscope Mfg. , a very well known local rifle scope mfg., a medical implant mfg., and a fiber optics/laser equip. mfg. I can't afford to not stress quality first in our shop.
I know there are shops that could probably make them in the time you stated...but I know it won't happen at my shop.
As far as equipment goes, it's all in top working shape. Several are 10+ years old as well. We have an OkumaLB-15 that 20yrs old now. Always taken care of and babied(as are all our machines) and it still holds +/-.0001 with a 6 rms finish all day long on 6Al4v Titanium. We have wire EDM's, 5-axis mills, Sub-spindle lathes with live tooling, and now a twin spindle , twin turret(both y-axis and live tool) Nakamura. I'll post a few pics of the shop tomorrow.

To answer a few of your questions you asked earlier. yes i'm kinda new here btw, been lurking around for a while before I joined. And yes I have seen your products you make for the mini bikes and I do have to say they look like top quality parts. Someday I hope to build a Bonanza mini bike with my boys and if I need any of the parts you make I would not have a problem buying them here from OldMiniBikes.
Thank you. And when you need help with that Bonanza....look me up. If you need a Bonanza to start with, let me know and I'll see what I can spare.
Now can we just call a truce and get back to regular programing. Have a Great Day!
OK....Truce.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My question and offer were ignored in what amounted to a pissing contest! That is a shame IMO! I'm dissapointed but I have run plenty of clutches without a threaded and tapped shaft so I guess it wont kill me not to have that luxury!:glare:

My question and offer were ignored in what amounted to a pissing contest! That is a shame IMO! I'm dissapointed but I have run plenty of clutches without a threaded and tapped shaft so I guess it wont kill me not to have that luxury!:glare:
You are absolutely right....and I apologize. I will try to sit down and figure out a good design and price for this project before the week is over.:smile:

Yes the Okuma's are very nice machines. All our lathes are Okuma's except for a little Mori Seki SL-15. We have two of the LB 15's also, one has the OSP 5020 control and other has the OSP 7000 control. But my favorite Okuma's are our LT 25 MY's, that Y axis sure is sweet.