early HS50 engine numbers needed

markus

I picked up some early/first version HS50 engines (1972/1973) in the past couple of weeks, one is just parts and the other is pretty complete, but both are missing the number tags. I am trying to do some cross referencing and trying to find some part numbers which can be tough without some numbers to work with.

Specifically looking for lighted engine numbers with a ball bearing crankshaft if possible (as that is the complete on I have coming)! These will be the little tag most often bolted to the left side small bolt that hold the cylinder air deflector tin to the case (above the sidecover).

Any help really appreciated!!!! I want to try and catalog what I can in differences and cross reference parts etc.. Thank you

I have the original lighted HS50 from my VT5 I took apart years ago (and never finished-story of my life) I'll pull it out this weekend and see if I can get the numbers for you. Not positive on the year but from memory it's early '70s

markus

That would be great, the one coming in ( I was the winning bidder last night on ebay apparently :thumbsup:) would probably be pretty comparable to a Heald used one, its standard flat mount lighted with tank:

Almost looks like an extended shaft, but that just may be an illusion due to the seal being pushed in, the pics aren't very good. Sucks its missing correct carb and air cleaner, but that power products air cleaner assy should help cover the cost to replace those parts! I cant make out which Walbro that is yet, other than its an LME, I still want to know which one they were selling back in the day as the Hop up for the Tecumseh's.....they were smart enough NOT to include the numbers from the carb in the advertisements :laugh:

thank you :thumbsup:

I can look at my master parts manual and give u every model number with a lighted coil and ball bearing pto when I get home. At sons lacrosse came abt half mile from Stellars old site as a matter of fact.

Here's all the lighted magneto part numbers with model number it was on. Cant fint a ball bearing part on the diagram. It says this was the HS50 from '72-'78. So if u think its a '71, its not in my parts manual. Could this have been added by the minibikes maker?

markus

Johnny, thanks for the info and posting it up :thumbsup: If you spy any part numbers or more info on the Ball bearing shafts for the HS50 engines let me know, I need to break down source another 70's parts book for myself, I had some and sold them when I was thnking I was done with this crap :doah:

MB1A, That would be helpful!!! Not only am I trying to figure out part numbers for the HS50's I just bought, but I am actually trying to compile a list of known used Tecumseh engines on Mini bikes/recreational No matter the size or year made. So anything that is found on an easily verified original bike would be very helpful to the community. figuring out how to make an update/editable list to post up and add to is another story. A Board like this you can only keep bumping a thread which just gets confusing :doah:

Don't need to add complete date codes/serial numbers if your worried about someone replicating a tag or something to that nature but at least the first 2 digits or year/and month of it are helpful as well as make and model of bike.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Looks like the one I have is later, the numbers were stamped in the top of the shroud. HS50 67007C SER 6076B. It is a ball bearing crank, and lighted.
That Power Product air cleaner is cool, I hope they pack it well and it doesn't get trashed in shipping.

markus

Looks like the one I have is later, the numbers were stamped in the top of the shroud. HS50 67007C SER 6076B. It is a ball bearing crank, and lighted.
That Power Product air cleaner is cool, I hope they pack it well and it doesn't get trashed in shipping.
Thats still very helpful!! that gives me some part numbers for the BB crank :thumbsup: You think its correct/OG for the bike :shrug:

1971_MB1A

Ok no problem...I will get you any tag/blower housing,engine #'s etc that I see on it sometime today. This bike was pretty decent when I got it 15 or so years ago but it's starting to look very weathered now. I can send you a pic of it from 15 years ago and one from today also if you like.

1971_MB1A

Ok I just looked briefly and found at least 3 original HS50 lighted bikes of mine that still have the original #'s matching engine and id tags attached with 1 screw on the left side of the engine block. I will PM you my # for you to call me and I can take whatever pics in specific that you may want while were on the phone and then send them to you.

Johnny, thanks for the info and posting it up :thumbsup: If you spy any part numbers or more info on the Ball bearing shafts for the HS50 engines let me know, I need to break down source another 70's parts book for myself, I had some and sold them when I was thnking I was done with this crap :doah:

MB1A, That would be helpful!!! Not only am I trying to figure out part numbers for the HS50's I just bought, but I am actually trying to compile a list of known used Tecumseh engines on Mini bikes/recreational No matter the size or year made. So anything that is found on an easily verified original bike would be very helpful to the community. figuring out how to make an update/editable list to post up and add to is another story. A Board like this you can only keep bumping a thread which just gets confusing :doah:

Don't need to add complete date codes/serial numbers if your worried about someone replicating a tag or something to that nature but at least the first 2 digits or year/and month of it are helpful as well as make and model of bike.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:
I bought all the microfiche too. Haha. I'll check that tonight and see if the ballbearing shaft part is in there.

markus

Ok I just looked briefly and found at least 3 original HS50 lighted bikes of mine that still have the original #'s matching engine and id tags attached with 1 screw on the left side of the engine block. I will PM you my # for you to call me and I can take whatever pics in specific that you may want while were on the phone and then send them to you.
No reason for a phone call or photo's, probably just confuse things more. Next time your out there jotting numbers down to order up rebuild parts or something you could just post the numbers up on this thread :thumbsup: You can figure out what most of the specs are on the engines when you look up the parts list for them by key part numbers such as intake, sidecover, magneto, etc.. thank you