"El Burro" engine/clutch swap advice needed

Just ordered the Predator 212cc engine for my El Burro. The B&S currently in it has issues. It is not the original engine, it is a 1993. I thought I should replace the Torque converter with a new one also. Can anyone recommend what might work {Comet TAV2 30 Series?} with that engine and bike? Not much info regarding this change for the El Burro. Also want to upgrade/bypass the current brake {it's awful}. Any tips GREATLY appreciated. Not sure what I might run into. Thanks!

Last edited:
Get a good picture of the driven. I didn't have time to take the cover off and get any pics before you got it... If it is a 20/30/40 series I am not sure. If you can figure out what it is then you can find a driven if it needs it. Then you need to measure the center to center distances from the driver(engine side) and the driven to order a belt.

Just my humble opinion, but I think you are going backwards. I would fix the Briggs issues many times over before I went to a Chinese clone route.
Sorry, but I'm a purist. What issues do you have with the Briggs?

Just my humble opinion, but I think you are going backwards. I would fix the Briggs issues many times over before I went to a Chinese clone route.
Sorry, but I'm a purist. What issues do you have with the Briggs?
The reason I went with a repl. engine is I want to get some use out of the El Burro before Summer's end, and the engine was cheap enough so I grabbed it. I'll have the B&S checked out and may just put it back in if it checks out O.K..

Last edited:
I have never owned an El Burro , but I have a buddy that has a couple. What I've witnessed is they have a pretty unique set up. You may be opening up a whole can of worms trying to switch that stuff. Most big bikes never did have good brakes. That's pretty much all I collect is big bikes. Other than my Terra Cat , most of them leave a lot to be desired. have you tried putting new pucks and the brake calipar ? As suggested I personally would try to fix what you have.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to follow the suggestion of keeping the B&S. I'll drop it off today to get it right, and re-install. Can anyone recommend the right Torque Converter? Is the "20" Series correct? I do want to replace that. Thanks!

Last edited:

Motra

The 20 series would be the way to go because the spring on the driven unit would run inboard like your set up. With a 30 series you wouldn't have room for the sprocket on the outside of the driven. Would you want to sell the Salsbury that's on it now?

I have never owned an El Burro , but I have a buddy that has a couple. What I've witnessed is they have a pretty unique set up. You may be opening up a whole can of worms trying to switch that stuff. Most big bikes never did have good brakes. That's pretty much all I collect is big bikes. Other than my Terra Cat , most of them leave a lot to be desired. have you tried putting new pucks and the brake calipar ? As suggested I personally would try to fix what you have.:thumbsup:
Good advice, thanks!