Engine Swap Advice

I'm swapping out a Tecumseh 3.5 H35 for a Honda 5.5 GX160 on my Murray mini bike. The Honda had to be mounted farther to the right to make everything line up. The balance is now off with more weight on the right side. How will that affect how it drives? I will, I think, have to extend the foot peg on the right.

The muffler would not fit, I removed the black cover and ground down the seam where the muffler box fits together and now it fits, barely. I had to take the air cleaner cover off, it does not fit. The cover hits the frame. I have a new air filter and adaptor from NR Racing so I'll probably remove the old air filter box assembly anyway.

I ordered a Header flange and Universal muffler from Affordable Go Karts, and plan to make a new header/muffler.

Looking for advice.

GTO wrote:
"Advice? A 5 HP Briggs or Tecumseh would have been easier."

If I had only known, but it's too late now. I'm committed.

I'm going for something like this.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/general-minibike-talk/698-rons-orange-mini.html

I've also seen pictures of one Murray with a 6.5 clone. that apparently just bolted in with little problem.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/b...ebug-minibikes/14562-other-chinee-mini-3.html

I thought the Honda would also. I did cut off the heavy plate on the left side near the rear axle like Ron did on his Orange one.

Yeah, the orange on is cool (except for how the Tav is mounted)

Some bikes where made with engines hanging to one side (like 2 speed clutch bikes) and others had rear wheels off center. It doesn't effect how it rides that much since you naturally balance while driving but it does look funny.

If I was doing what you are, I would probably put a jack shaft on the bike and center the engine. :thumbsup:

GTO
"If I was doing what you are, I would probably put a jack shaft on the bike and center the engine."

Great idea!

Strigoi,

I know the orange one is a Briggs, but I thought the measurements of the Honda would be about the same.

I think I can move the motor forward and that might make the muffler and air box fit. The base slots that I have it mounted in are farther back than the ones I had the Tecumseh on. I'll have to drill new holes or extend the slots to move it forward. I think that will take care of the clearance problem.