Engine swap idea: Cutting slots with a wood-router using a milling bit...

Has anyone ever used/thought of using a router for woodworking as a milling machine?

I’m doing a engine swap on my Doodlebug and I’m planning on drilling out the slots instead of using an adapter plate. Then using a wood-router with a milling bit to clean out the slots. Has anyone ever done this?

I’ve also entertained the idea of making a jig to cut the slots without drilling. I don’t know how dangerous this would be or what the possibilities are of breaking something.

Maybe I’m glutton for punishment or thinking too far outside the box on this one?!

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,

Neil

I've used a wood router on metal before but only on aluminum. Made a highrise intake plate for my 70 Nova. The rpms are just to high and you don't have the control you really need.

hi drill two holes & use a jig saw 0=0 with a by metal blade if you have two, then use a file ..
I like the two holes & jig saw idea.:hack:
However, I may just have to try my router & milling bit idea to see if it's plausible. I'll update this post when I do, hopefully with all my fingers attached!:001_tongue:

Thanks Guys

Try using a die grinder bit it is designed for steel and has a 1/4 " shank , You still would need to drill your two holes first.and only use the bit for small amounts of removal.

Has anyone ever used/thought of using a router for woodworking as a milling machine?

I’m doing a engine swap on my Doodlebug and I’m planning on drilling out the slots instead of using an adapter plate. Then using a wood-router with a milling bit to clean out the slots. Has anyone ever done this?

I’ve also entertained the idea of making a jig to cut the slots without drilling. I don’t know how dangerous this would be or what the possibilities are of breaking something.

Maybe I’m glutton for punishment or thinking too far outside the box on this one?!

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,

Neil
If you do it, make a video...it'll be hilarious.

if you dont have a jig saw go to home depot and rent one, or borrow one from a freind or neighbor. it will be alot safer than using a router:eek:ut:

I would be afraid to put a stone bit in a router, the spin way to many RPM's to even think about being safe. I'm sure a stone bit would come aPart like a grenade at 28,000 RPM in a router. Best bet is the drill 2 holes and use a jig saw or a cut off wheel to take out the middle, at least you know you will wake up tomorrow in one piece. :shrug:

TomH

After you blow up the bit, if you are still game. Take a skill saw with the blade on backwards. Be sure to pin up the guard. It will finish out the slots:laugh:

Man, I would not EVEN try this, and I do stupid stuff all the time. If you don't have a jig saw, go to harbor freight and drop a few bucks, it is a must have tool.

oldfatguy

you can also drill a line of holes with the edges almost touching, this will make it easier to clear out the center with a sawsall and files

OOOOOOO

Don't end up with regrets, drill and file. The extra time and effort is worth it for perfect results, just make sure to measure twice and maybe three times. A lot easier to remove the metal than add it back so do it right.:thumbsup: