Fairbanks Morse backplate removal

Any good ideas for getting the backplate off the shaft without cracking it? I've had the motor on its side for abt two weeks with PB Blaster soaking inside. Went to hook up a puller and one side is too close to the motor to get the hook of one of the pullers arms under it. So i tried to pry it up a little with a flathead screwdriver and boy does this thing seem fragile. Fra-gee-lay!!

Wonder if wooden or plastic wedges would work. Tap them in for a little pressure on it on backside of clutch housing and tap on shaft with brass or a deadblow hammer. Just an idea that might work

CarPlayLB

I had to get one off a motor and I did not care about the driver, but I tried to be careful just in case I could sell it on eBay. I heated it with a torch, I used a brass hammer to try and tap it free...nothing worked. As a last resort I tried a puller on it...which busted the round plate in to many pieces. I wound up using an abrasive disc to cut it off! ...and it still fought me!
I will be watching to see what the experienced members have to say about this one!

After trying to pull one from a motor 2 years ago at Windber (with no success) my brother and I finally came up with a good way to do this. I was getting the motor for my Rupp ready when we needed to pull the driver off so I could finish cleaning it up. I just happened to have a collar that fit the sleeve part of the driver like the one pictured.

0000265_12-shaft-collar-fc15-092_300.jpeg

We were lucky enough that the one was the appropriate size. So we tightened it down to the end of the sleeve and used a slide hammer to pull it. It took some working around the collar to get it to come off but it did finally come off without damaging the sleeve. The next time I went to do it, I used a puller which made it so much easier yet. This should help out a number of you guys who needed a way to remove the drivers. The collars can be bought at various places on the net for under 5 bucks. Good luck.

edit: Oh, if you are by yourself you definitely need a way to hold the motor if using the slide hammer. If using the gear puller then it can just sit on the bench. And there is never any need to break these. It just takes some patience and something to keep from having to grab the backing plate.

Last edited: