Firemarshal71's Open Class Chopper

Hey Marshal - Bike coming along great.
Its a McDonalds bike - "I'm Lovin it"

Can I poke my head where it does not belong, Get a big automotive air filter and make a bracket for it where the old tank was, plump this into the carb and ditch the standard air filter. Sorry I could not help but post

Hey Marshal - Bike coming along great.
Its a McDonalds bike - "I'm Lovin it"

Can I poke my head where it does not belong, Get a big automotive air filter and make a bracket for it where the old tank was, plump this into the carb and ditch the standard air filter. Sorry I could not help but post

Tank, we think alike. I hate the way the stock filter sits there but I cant put the aftermarket ones on either unless I want to ride it like an old western woman with both legs to the left side (sorry if offensive). I do plan to play around with something like you described, if fact I think i even tried using a shop vac attachment as a solution but dont know if i can do something like the scoop you put on yours.

Yea its a real challenge with choppers to put something in that gap normally filled by a Harley flat head
That's what I love about these builds- art vs engineering.
At least we didn't go chineese and put in a plastic fake :lol:

blending more welds and working on engine plate assy.

blended in some more welds with the frame and fabricated some sections of what will become the engine mount. hard to believe what used to be a gas pipe in an old apartment complex that I am currently renovating, is now most of my bike's frame. I don't have much to complain about at this point of the build, I'm still learning to weld and enjoying working back in the shop. thanks for all the compliments and tips of the trade.

engine mount completed

finished up the engine mount and ground down my amateur welds the best I could. Spent a lot of time trying to put the slots in the engine alignment bolt holes and not real happy with how they came out but for just a small chain to the jackshaft, I think the 1/2 inch movement is OK. couple pics of frame at this stage and the engine bolted in for fit test.

frame looks good.
not much left of the rupp
going to be a cool bike
thanks Yoop, hopefully when some of the rupp pieces start going back on, the resemblence will be there. the front fork will stay the same except for a 5" extension on the upper tube, most of seatpan, tank, and whatever else I can salvage off the old bike.

intake designs

Clayon and Tanksareus gave me some good input for modifying my intake and ditch the stock setup which is quite ugly as is. I am 95% confident I can make the hood scoop which I borrowed from a hilborn style but not sure how to get a tube from the carb to back of scoop. I mocked it up in red tape but might even run a tube around the back side of engine and come in to the other side above the exhaust manifold using some type of flex vac hose but not sure how the "ribs" would affect airflow. I'm thinking the filter will be below the scoop and the "butterflies" be just cosmetic and blocked from actual air intake. They could easily be modified to open with throttle since it is right there. Looking for some advice on design and function. Dont want to have to modify the carb for any reason since Im not an engine guy and dont know how to rejet or anything like that. Tank, do you think this will work??:shrug:

Thats Totally bad Ass.
Was thinking about a flange with a 90° pipe coming out of it. Then a piece of shop vac hose and run it to the air box. Don't worry about the ridges the shop hose it does'nt draw huge volumes.

Hurry up and finish already - dying to see it done:thumbsup:

fabricated up an intake for my scoop

used some 16 guage sheetmetal and a piece of stainless kitchen drain pipe (no joke) and welded up an intake for the hilborn style air intake scoop. I am really liking this new lincoln welder, my last one would have burned right through this thin gage metal. I used a dremel and drill bits to cutout the carburator slot. I used my favorite bench vise to fold the sheetmetal into the finished piece. The drain piece has a little flanged neck which fits tightly in the 1 1/2 inch hole on top but I plan to put a hold down bracket similar to an old distributor clamp to keep the tube in place. I made the thickness of the airbox as wide as possible 5/8" and still keep the stock carb bolts. There is quite a bit of room inside this box and almost double what the plastic one had. I have pictures of the finished piece installed on the engine in the next post.

intake mounted on engine

this will get a little body filler once the entire frame is ready for the priming stage but I really like how this turned out. I had to trim the piece a little in the back because it was hitting the throttle linkage and also had to cutoff the back throttle assy that I wont be using due to interference. the top of the airbox holds down the choke lever and keeps it from falling out which the old plastic box took care of. Special thanks to my friend, Tank for helping me out on the design of this.

Last edited:
I am calling it a day on the bike. Trying to fab up the air scoop without any solid plans other than a vision was taking a toll on me today, lots of rework and trial and error. I did get most of the structure for the air box completed and still need to cover the top with a thin gage sheetmetal. I have a piece of 26 gage sitting here but think it might be too thin. Still trying to decide how I want to get access to the air filter once installed for maintenance. one option would be to go through one of the 3" butterflies, or have the top sheet that can be removeable. putting in an access cover on the bottom like i wanted isnt going to happen due to the tight fits and time it would take to unbolt the scoop everytime.