Firemarshal71's Open Class Chopper

I think it looks awesome and with the flaps, it just looks sick! You fire that thing up and people see them just a flappin, they are going to be like what the :censure:!

Need help / frame question

The tire and wheel came today, and Im not real happy with how it looks in the frame. Initially when I was fabricating the frame I saw a plan for an 8.5 inch wide tire with a 13" wide frame so I figured with a 6.5 inch wide tire that an 11 inch wide frame would be good. Looks like too much space between tire and frame rails to me but I dont have the disc brake or sprocket yet. there is currently 2 inches of space on each side.

Does this setup look dumb, should I shorten the width of the frame or just leave it alone? If I shortened the frame it looks like it would only be 1/2 inch on each side which seems like a lot of work for such a short gain. I don't know, maybe Im being too picky at this point. Thanks in advance. Joe

Last edited:
I don't think it looks bad. :shrug:
thanks buck, I'm just disapointed at this point. the next wider tire won't work 8.5 because it will be 17.5 in height and then I'll run into gearing issues. I seen a couple other drag style bikes on here and they look just as wide but using the smaller profile wheels. Maybe if I space out the sprocket and disc to even the gap it won't be as bad??

For some perspective, My frame is 14.25" and the tire is 10" wide. Once the disc and sprocket are in there they will take a lot of that space.

As was stated above, getting the brakes and sprocket on will require most of the room you have left. Add the fender and seat to cover the gap up front, you will hardley notice it.. Won't look bad at all :thumbsup:

I just started getting my jig ready. Getting saw and stuff for my B-day tommorow. My tire is 18"x9.5" My axle is 18" long. With 1" Tube. My back end is going to look funky! But you know what, this is an awesome looking bike, you might be slightly dissapointed now, but just wait till you get done. You can always dress it up later.

Yep I agree with the guys above- you'll fill it with drive gear, brakes, fender and seat. You might even be glad you have the room to work with. Looks real good.

Even bobber style, and skinny pad seat, the fender struts alone would serve to fill the gap. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who have helped share their honest opinions and technical knowledge. For future reference, having spent 20+ yrs in the military I am not one to get easily offended if you offer a critical comment as long as it comes with a recommended solution. Believe me, I beat myself up a lot harder than anything you might feel is offensive. This may be the only minibike I ever build (ya right) and I just want it to be the best of what I can bring "to the table".

I need to let this sit for a couple days and let it wear on me and then come back to it with all of your wisdom you have provided. Thanks again. Joe

Back in business!

So I had time to sulk, wipe my tears, suck up my pride, and humble myself. I could not convince myself that my current frame was what I wanted (width issue). I ended up chopping the frame :grind: in 4 sections and shortening it about 3/4 of an inch on each side to narrow the gap between the wheel and frame sides. There is now 9 1/2 inches between rails which gives 1 1/2 on each side. I like this look much better and was able to reuse all of the pieces except for the small riser section. I flipped the lower rails around so that the former bend is now the "kick up" you see in the rear of the bike. Since I used 3/4 pipe which has an ID of 13/16, I had to make my own sleeves by taking 3/4 tube and cutting a slot in it then stretching the opening so that it fit tightly in the pipe. I still need to put some bracing in and grind/touch up the new areas I just pieced together. Thanks to Havasu Dave for his suggestions and help.

Squaring up frame and blended welds in

Thanks Buckeye, I'm glad I made the changes and that it wasn't too much hassle. I can barely tell that the frame had been recut after blending in the welds.

Frame has been squared and ready for the remaining vertical bracing, 2 in back, 1 in center under seat area, and 2 up front angled along downtube. Going to order the live axle setup tonight and hoping to get that installed next weekend. For the upcoming week, going to take apart the old front fork and see what I can do to extend the tubes. Hopefully the springs are still in good shape although seized in tubes.