Firemarshal71's Open Class Chopper

Ridiculousness. Out standing!!:thumbsup:
Thanks again Buckeye! There was something about this build just after I bought the donor Rupp bike, that everything seemed to come together and gave me a good way of developing my skills and showing them off. Of course this is not the bike I wanted to build which is on another post, but like Tank said, "I'm lovin' it!" and I am really enjoying doing this build with such a great group.

Looking amazing man. You can just add tabs to the top of the bottom plate so you can screw the top to the bottom for easier access. But hands good looks awesome :thumbsup:

Looking amazing man. You can just add tabs to the top of the bottom plate so you can screw the top to the bottom for easier access. But hands good looks awesome :thumbsup:
thanks, I am in process of doing that at this time. I decided to go with aluminum sheet for the top, I couldnt get the steel to bend the way I wanted and with aluminum it will polish up nicely. the tabs will go on the bottom plate and I built a filter box inside the scoop which a small paper filter element goes in from a 6hp tecumseh lawn mower engine.

Very cool. Maybe you can place the air cleaner on the inside and maybe take the tin for the scoop around the top and fasten in from the bottom swith sheet metal screws. That way you can take it back off to clean the air filter?

What kind of mods are you gonna to do that predator?
I doubt anything. I'm new to the small engine stuff and don't think I will have the time to learn and modify anything to it. I only spent $95 on it so not expecting too much. I would have liked to have bought one of the Briggs that are made in this area (Milwaukee, WI) but can't really afford them. (at least on a hobby). I can always modify stuff later but just hoping to get the rest of this build done.

As far as the filter and scoop, this is how I mounted the air filter inside. Everything is epoxied in place. The top piece (not shown) is aluminum sheet .025 and will be secured with screws underneath in order to maintain access to the air filter for cleaning. I used the smallest one I could find (square style) that was at the local home center. it fits tightly inside with the blue gasket holding it in place.

Its going down to -17 with the wind chill tonight and my heater can't compete with nature so it may be a couple days before I dare to venture out in the shop.

Did you use wood for the inside of the scoop? Before you seal it all up maybe you could redo the wood parts in fiberglass. Will hold just as well and save you some weight and might handle bouncing around better too. Just a suggestion

I doubt anything. I'm new to the small engine stuff and don't think I will have the time to learn and modify anything to it. I only spent $95 on it so not expecting too much. I would have liked to have bought one of the Briggs that are made in this area (Milwaukee, WI) but can't really afford them. (at least on a hobby). I can always modify stuff later but just hoping to get the rest of this build done.

As far as the filter and scoop, this is how I mounted the air filter inside. Everything is epoxied in place. The top piece (not shown) is aluminum sheet .025 and will be secured with screws underneath in order to maintain access to the air filter for cleaning. I used the smallest one I could find (square style) that was at the local home center. it fits tightly inside with the blue gasket holding it in place.

Its going down to -17 with the wind chill tonight and my heater can't compete with nature so it may be a couple days before I dare to venture out in the shop.
Yeah, I'm going to mock everything up before I do any of my mods. Just to make sure she fits. Then engine time! Last but most anticipated for me.

Did you use wood for the inside of the scoop? Before you seal it all up maybe you could redo the wood parts in fiberglass. Will hold just as well and save you some weight and might handle bouncing around better too. Just a suggestion
thanks for the suggestion, I used some marine grade ply that was left over from a boat build I did a long time ago and then covered it in epoxy resin. If this stuff can hold up to full water conditions, I figured it was probably ok for this purpose. Fiberglass was something I considered but much more work and doesnt give a finished look like this does plus I would most likely still need sometype of core material (which is normally wood in boatbuilding). I guess it's always an option later, if this doesnt work out and gets beat up with the vibrations.

scoop and intake completed

here's some pictures of how I ended this evening. I'm thinking it turned out as I expected but there are flaws to be found. My body hammers and dollys left some marks on the back corners which I think I can rub out but if not, I did what I could. the linkage for the butterflies came out completely awesome and I wasnt sure about the distance which the throttle moved (1/2 inch) if I could get the butterflies to be fully open when the throttle was full open, but it worked. The filter can be accessed by removing 4 screws underneath the scoop and then unscrewing the linkage and pulling out through right side. the butterflies must be loosened first and are put on last after the rod is pulled through. kinda confusing but it works.

I still need to get some type of strip along the front edge and cover the front with a piece of thin alum flashing I have. If there isnt enough air flow at idle with the undersized butterflies closed, I may have to either drill out a hole in the bottom plate or adjust them to be partly open at idle position.

I have a 40 second video of it working but dont know how to upload.
maybe this works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue6bNNYmW-k

Last edited: