First Scratch Built Bike

Not annoying at all.

Very nice work. Much nicer than I and I have access to correct parts.

Very nice build.
That means a lot coming from someone much more experienced than I! I get quite a bit of help from my Dad, with welding and pipe bending as I am only 14, but I'm really keen on learning to weld :thumbsup: My dad made the frame and I designed it. I do every inch of the motors myself , because it isn't really that hard and I really enjoy it!

-jackeo21

Today I ran the motor with the new pipe and it sounds great! I'm gonna try and get a video posted sooner or later :thumbsup:

Me and Dad managed to hook up the 5hp raptor throttle kit without many issues at all. It springs back like the 5hp and is a simple system. We just had to make a custom linkage out of stainless rod.

Next up is to panelbeat, bog, sand and repaint the shroud which is not original to the motor.

A bit of back-story on the motor: I originally brought it for parts but found it to be in good nick inside. After a clean out, sandblast and a coat of paint with new gaskets and seals, a mower coil, a header and a custom one off air filter it looks a stunner and runs strong :laugh: Luckily for me it doesn't smoke! I wonder how much HP I would gain out of the air filter and exhaust?

I also had to put gasket sealant around where the carb goes on the tank, because gas leaks out there on whatever engine I have! And yes, I have ordered a new jet.

Here it is as it sits:

Before

Now

Raptor Throttle on a 3HP

Last edited:
Here's the video of me running the 3HP today (16/09/15)
[video=youtube;dxEra8wtmz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxEra8wtmz4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I managed to make a sproket setup today. I used the old, tiny 25H sproket as the base and welded the big 420 pitch sprocket onto it. Against all odds, it seems to be very straight :thumbsup:

Stay Tuned For Progress!

I got the bike to be a roller today. Need to find a bolt for the front axle to make it a proper roller frame. Sprocket is perfect, and the gap between the chain and the wheel is nice.. I just need to find a way to drill the slots in the engine plate, any suggestions? Once that's done I can hook up the smaller things, Seat, Throttle, Brakes, Clutch and Guard :grind: And then I can take it completely back to nothing and paint it.

I feel like I'm talking to myself here! :laugh:

Ah well, I'm getting there :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Really Nice jackeo ! :thumbsup: What color is it going to be ?
Going to be the same colour as my tru-test, which is between a lime green and dark green. It is also metallic. The bike will have the silver engine, green frame, black axles, and other black highlights :thumbsup:

This Colour.

Last edited:
Today was a very productive day for me :thumbsup: I drilled a hole in the shroud and installed a killswitch, Repainted parts of the engine, and made a bracket for the clutch brake and chain guard. Also managed to make a custom exhaust and inlet manifold for a mates engine :laugh:

Looking good so far I guess. Kill switch does it's job! I'm just waiting on a new clutch and decals and the motor itself will be completed.

Could someone with an actual genuine frijole tell me if I have the size accurate? I just looked at pictures and made the frame so have no clue how big an actual Taco should be :shrug: We just made it big enough for the 3hp! Only problem we faced with that is the air filter hitting the rear of the frame!

Oh yeah, our slot drills won't arrive until friday next week :censure: So in the mean time I will have to sort out the front axle :thumbsup:

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
Bought some things today, but have been busy with other things at the moment! Got a 196cc (6.5) clone with a cracked block... In the middle of rebuilding the 4HP briggs, rebuilding a friends 5Hp and testing the 3.5 Tecumseh...

We purchased a new front axle (bolt). The other one was way too short but this new one should fit nicely.
Got some new starter rope because the current one keeps snapping :censure:
Purchased a new Clutch and threaded the crankshaft :wink:

Main things to do are to fit the throttle up and slot the engine holes.

Also, what years were Taco Frijoles made? I know early models have a slightly different frame.

Pics Soon!

Last edited:
Very impressive, young man. You certainly have a gift for engines as the Briggs sounds very sweet. Don't give up on the Tecumseh yet--those motors are fun to play with! The whole project is absolutely stunning...I wish I had you for a student when I was teaching. Would have been a blast!

I got it to be a roller today :laugh: I fabricated up some front wheel spacers and washers and cut the axle down. I also managed to replace the Briggs rope... ...which is never an easy thing to do :thumbsup:

We cut the handle bars down to a more realistic length. Now we need to sleeve them so the grips and throttle set will fit.

Hope to bog up the welds to give it a more sleek look, as well as the frame dents from the pipe bender.

Everything is going smoothly at the moment. Stay tuned for updates :wink:

Very impressive, young man. You certainly have a gift for engines as the Briggs sounds very sweet. Don't give up on the Tecumseh yet--those motors are fun to play with! The whole project is absolutely stunning...I wish I had you for a student when I was teaching. Would have been a blast!
Thank you very much, quite the honour! The support from you, and the other OldMiniBikes members is incredible, and motivates me to get 'er done! I got the Tecumseh running, with unbelievable compression. I'm surprised the timing is right... That's up for sale now, need the money to save another old 1959-60 Briggs 3HP! That might go on another Frijole or tom thumb, later on :thumbsup:

The sad thing is, that I can't even work in our engineering class at school until next year! I might go see if I can get a look around, however. Could have sworn I saw a mini bike there months ago.

Thanks again,
-Jack

Last edited:
Thank you very much, quite the honour! The support from you, and the other OldMiniBikes members is incredible, and motivates me to get 'er done! I got the Tecumseh running, with unbelievable compression. I'm surprised the timing is right... That's up for sale now, need the money to save another old 1959-60 Briggs 3HP! That might go on another Frijole or tom thumb, later on :thumbsup:

The sad thing is, that I can't even work in our engineering class at school until next year! I might go see if I can get a look around, however. Could have sworn I saw a mini bike there months ago.

Thanks again,
-Jack
That's right, I forgot the "English" system of schooling limits access to certain classes until you're a bit older. When you do get into the Engineering class you'll have lots of problem solving and design projects that you'll find much easier than your peers because of what you've been doing on your own. In the States, we adapted quite a lot of the Technology and Engineering curricula for our grades 10-12 courses. You've impressed me (and no doubt others) with your skills!

Congratulations!

Well, I have been sick for the past week and a half but I'm back to work now! I only got about an hour in the garage today so I whipped up a brake mount out of some 6mm threaded rod, spacers, washers and nylocks. I just need to find a spring and the cable clamp and the brakes will be finished!

Once we slot the engine mounting holes the bike might be ready to go together for a test ride :laugh:

Very nice! I had to go back and look at the build pics I didnt beleive you built that from scratch first time out. Great thinking on that air filter