First time builder, want some tips!

Hi Everybody,

first time poster and builder as well. I recently purchased a Baja rider, and swapped out the original 97CC engine for a 212 Predator. There is nothing else on it besides the stock brakes, tires, and the 212 along with a throttle cable I replaced.

My next question is--what kinds of additions should I make to the engine to make it a bit better? I was suggested to put in a header or make modifications to the carb.. but I'm not very familiar with engines in general (still learning!). What suggestions do you guys have? And if there are any resources I can read for modifying and building minibikes, please send them to me! Thanks so much

Posted below are some pictures from the engine swap. IMG_5945.JPG IMG_5980.JPG IMG_5981.JPG

Nice DB, and I see you got the hemi Predator engine. I've got a DB with the same engine and I added a after market air filter and adapter, 140 e-tube and a 38 jet with a open header...still governed though. All the parts you need at the OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Thanks for your response!

Like I said in my OP, I am not familiar with engines. What is the purpose of the after-market air filter and adapter? What is a 38 jet for? etc etc.. thank you if you can answer these questions.

Twid

Here is a tip don't be afraid to try to do it yourself. Read up on what you are trying to do, then get your hands dirty and don't be scared to ask for help. YouTube has tons of videos and OldMiniBikes has a ton of information you have to take it all in and do as best as you can do.

In a nut shell, the engine is not much more than an air pump. You want it to breathe the best it can. With an unrestricted exhaust and a nice big 'ol air cleaner it will get the air it needs without struggling. Then with all that air, you need to allow it to suck more gas for a proper mix of air and gas.

In a nut shell, the engine is not much more than an air pump. You want it to breathe the best it can. With an unrestricted exhaust and a nice big 'ol air cleaner it will get the air it needs without struggling. Then with all that air, you need to allow it to suck more gas for a proper mix of air and gas.
Very well said mrpat !

Thank you for the simple answer, sometimes it seems overwhelming with so much to learn. As always, you guys are the best!
Welcome Dave, your in a great place.
Dale

Last edited:
Don't forget about the brakes - a brake upgrade would be a great idea before you get too carried away on the engine.

Somebody on here said it best: Those stock brakes were meant to stop a 70 lb kid doing 15 mph, not a full sized adult going 2 or 3 times that fast.