Found: Racing Tote Gote

Who made the jlo engine? Ive thought about trying to find a suitable 2 stroke to use in a custom trail bike. With the right gearing I think an old snowmobile engine would work.

Amazing specimen, wow. Thanks for sharing- keep the pics coming I think we all would like to see some detailed shots of the highlights of such a unique bike.

Ive read that there was a jlo 230 and a 340, is the one a single and the other a twin? Im guessing these were the same engines used in the hotshot-

Last edited:
The 340 was made in a single and a twin. L340 was a single and the LR340/2 was a twin. JLO made 3 other singles L99, L230 and L295. I have seen a 230 on a tote gote and a hot shot. The twins included LR340, LR399, LR399, LR440 and a LB600. This 750 Tote Gote was built by Stan Nelson (tote gote shop foreman). It was raced by Stan and Ray Wing and was the first leading link front end and L340.

I see the back half of the frame/suspepsion is different. You mentioned the singlejacks were throwing chains, maybe they stiffened it up to prevent that. I noticed the R750 and the hotshot have a flat steel section to the frame.
Im wondering what my chances are of finding an old snow machine with a jlo single.

My twister is running great. I need to replace the rubber motor mounts, it's going to require cutting the frame.

james c

I see the back half of the frame/suspepsion is different. You mentioned the singlejacks were throwing chains, maybe they stiffened it up to prevent that. I noticed the R750 and the hotshot have a flat steel section to the frame.
Im wondering what my chances are of finding an old snow machine with a jlo single.

My twister is running great. I need to replace the rubber motor mounts, it's going to require cutting the frame.
try the vintage sled classifieds like on vintagesleds.com
ive found them on ebay as well, the 230 jlo is pretty elusive but pop up now and then. also try richardsrelics.com he has lots of jlo rockwell stuff

The gote with the JLO was a 750. They made the R750 so the JLO would fit better.