Found: Racing Tote Gote

In it's last years, Tote Gote made the 750R. It was nicknamed the 'singlejack' because it only had one jackshaft. Most Tote Gotes had two. It was designed for racing but some were sold to the public. The leading link forks were copied from a DKW motorcycle by Stan Nelson (tote gote shop forman) and Ray Wing (one time president of the Trail Scooter Racing Association). This bike won many races but had a problem throwing the chain so they were made so they could go back to two jackshafts. I have been looking for one of these for years and finally had success.

Very nice when you find something you have been searching for. I take it that the brake is a band brake. What is the tooth count on that rear sprocket ? I see a pair of Goodyear Suburbanites tires I just sold the bike that had one of them a real beefy tire.
The rear chain guard is slick looking we just need more close up pictures. Congratulations Richard where did you find it ?
Steve :scooter:

I've been told they would go 50mph. I don't know if that is with the 8hp briggs. These were designed to also run a JLO 340. Some racers would run the briggs on the friday 8hp class, then switch to the 340 for the unlimited class on saturday. This one has a 1" band brake but the others I have seen have a 3" brake. The chain guard is welded to the frame and is 3/8" thick. It doesn't look like weight was a concern. A couple years ago, I drove 150 miles just ot take pictures of a singlejack. I found this one less than a mile from home. It's hard to find stuff hidden in peoples garages. I'll count the teeth on the sprocket, it's gonna take a lot of fingers and toes.

My bikes were also purpose built trail racers and may have raced against these, the history I got reflects that anyway. That's one bad ass looking Goat.:thumbsup:

And these are for sale, the Twister has been sorta restored.

The sprocket is an 80 tooth and is as big as the 12" rims. The chain guard is 3/8" thick steel and is welded to the frame. Other singlejacks I have seen had 3" wide band brakes but this one is only 1" wide. The Ceriani shocks front and rear are standard. The serial number is #45.

All the welds look rough but original. The tail has been repaired. An extra motor plate has been added to raise the motor, looks like they were tring to make the wrong V-belt work. The front fender looks like a minigote fender but it is correct. Every singlejack I've seen had this fender. The motor is a '77 so it isn't original ( at least the shroud isn't original)