Fox Campus FX - Newest CL Find

Picked up this bike from a local CL listing this past Monday. Didn't really need it, but couldn't pass it up for the deal I got !

This is my first Fox. In 40 years of wheeling and dealing with mini bikes and motorcycles, it is honestly the first Fox that I have seen in person. There must be very few of them in my part of the country.

I was hesistant to get it due to the missing rear wheel, but the rest of it seemed complete and original - so I took a chance on it. If anyone can steer me in the direction of a rear wheel/sprocket, I would greatly appreciate it.

THE GOOD:
  • Excellent tank w/ petcock and decent decals
  • Seat is in relatively good condition
  • Engine (Tecumseh HS40 w/ diaphragm carb) turns over w/ compression
  • Very nice exhaust system and heat shield
  • Wiring harness is intact
  • Original clutch cover
  • Clutch - primary chain and jackshaft are free and in good condition
  • Optional factory luggage rack
  • No damage to tail light
THE BAD:
  • Missing rear wheel/sprocket
  • Missing fork boots
  • Gas cap is broken
  • Missing left & right rear reflectors
  • Guts missing from headlight bucket (but plug & wiring are intact in bucket)
  • Some parts are quite rusty
  • One footpeg missing...the other is some backyard engineering monstrosity
  • Handlebars have been welded to forks
If I can find a rear wheel, I think I can make a really nice bike out of this.

I welcome any comments or advice from Fox enthusiasts. Thank you.

PICTURES BELOW:

buckeye

I feel your pain. Just not much down this way either.
You have your work cut out for ya. Tank is great. You obviously are going to keep it. Wow,a lot of work ahead of you. Nice find?

I agree with both of you guys.

This thing is a cream-puff compared to some of the stuff I drag home! Needless to say, it will be a lot of work - but I believe this has the potential to be a beautiful resto once I source a rear wheel. Just posted for one in the WANTED section of OldMiniBikes Classifieds, so maybe something will show up.

Most of the parts are in great shape: tank, fenders, exhaust, seat, clutch cover, brake caliper are all very clean. I have not even washed the bike or attempted to polish the chrome, so the photos show the bike in its worst light.

I haven't tried to start it, but the HS40 turns freely and seems to have good compression. Have not checked to see if it has spark. In any event, I think it's probably a good engine and that was worth the price of the bike.

If I can't find a suitable rear wheel, I think that the parts I mentioned will sell and I can easily break even on the deal if I ultimately have to part it out. If that happens, I would most likely keep the engine for a future project.

Resto, if you can't find the rear wheel and sprocket you need this could be a bike you put in the corner of the shop and wait until you find the needed parts. Sometimes that is the best thing to do, instead of parting it out. Tho that also decreases your shop size as you start storing more bikes until you find the parts.

Umm..since nobody mentioned it..thats not the correct luggage rack for a Fox. I might be parting out a Fox just like yours...it has everything you need for yours. PM me if your gonna keep it and restore it. I also have alot of Fox brochures that could help.

As a kid I had a blue Fox Campus Mini Bike and would like a project to restore one. Would you be open to an offer for the bke as it sits. Dennis Boldt 636-346-2354 in St. Louis Missouri. I would drive out and pick it up and after I restore it I would send you pic's.

Fox parts

Umm..since nobody mentioned it..thats not the correct luggage rack for a Fox. I might be parting out a Fox just like yours...it has everything you need for yours. PM me if your gonna keep it and restore it. I also have alot of Fox brochures that could help.
Im needing the clutch cover for that bike. If you have that how much?
Thank you, I may even have something your needing , maybe a trade?