Gilson Comet Clutch assembly What Model number and is there a Blow-up see pic

Can anyone tell me what model number this Comet assembly is? And if any one has a blow-up of it? Please advise

I'm wondering if there is a spring and washer in these like the Rupp torque set-ups. And wanting to see if anything could be sticking in that housing.

Can anyone tell me what model number this Comet assembly is? And if any one has a blow-up of it? Please advise

I'm wondering if there is a spring and washer in these like the Rupp torque set-ups. And wanting to see if anything could be sticking in that housing.
It's most likely a TC88 set up, measure the inside width of the driven pulley. If it's 5'8", TC88. If it's 3/4", then it's a 20 series.

No funky spring/ washer set up like the rupps. If it's sticking, pull it apart and de-grease everything and re lube with COMET spray. Very important to lube these correctly for proper operation.

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Lube-Spray-11oz.html

I thought you sold this bike?

Yes the bike is technically sold. No money exchanged. I know the buyer is good for it and is planning on picking up next weekend I believe. I was interested in what type of converter it was and if it needed special care that Mark G confirmed. So I can pass onto buyer if it is needed in the future.

Last edited:

george3

The driver is the part of the system that usually sticks. Pull the bolt, remove the front 1/2 and the black hub driver clean the old lube real good. check for any ware. If all parts are in good cond. Re-lube with comet lube only. Test fit assembly for freedom of movement before re-lubeing. same theory on the driven.

george3

It's most likely a TC88 set up, measure the inside width of the driven pulley. If it's 5'8", TC88. If it's 3/4", then it's a 20 series.

No funky spring/ washer set up like the rupps. If it's sticking, pull it apart and de-grease everything and re lube with COMET spray. Very important to lube these correctly for proper operation.

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Lube-Spray-11oz.html

I thought you sold this bike?
I have comet charts but not this one. shows all in one. Simple.

Thanks George3 ! I will not be touching this bike anymore. In my eyes it's sold. So the new buyer can mess with if there is a problem. But your information is great to have and I will pass onto new owner As it might need to be cleaned. I believe the outside throttle linkage on housing could use a good lube or adjustment.

Last edited:

george3

Thanks George3 ! I will not be touching this bike anymore. In my eyes it's sold. So the new buyer can mess with if there is a problem. But your information is great to have and I will pass onto new owner As it might need to be cleaned. I believe the outside throttle linkage on housing could use a good lube or adjustment.
No prob. I have had to repair my share of these converters thats for sure. Its kind of sucks that we don't see some of these back east bikes out here. The Gilsons and Herters, few and far between.