Greyhound 6.5 hp (predator identical) Engine Problems. PLEASE HELP ASAP!

Hey everyone! New user here.

So awhile back i rigged my engine up with a 6.5 hp greyhound engine which is almost exactly identical to the 212cc predator engine. The other day i had it parked outside and i think the wind pushed it over so it was sitting on its side overnight. I think possibly some oiled got into the cylinder and now the flywheel gets stuck after each full rotation.

i tried taking out the spark plug and cranking the fly wheel and some oil cam put of the spark plug port and i also drained the oil and now it has a little bit less resistance. I got it running today but the air box was smoking like crazy, probably burning the oil in the cylinder, but it had trouble idling. But now it wont start at all so i have no idea whats up.

Any insight is appreciated, I ride this on a regular basis lol.

Just a thought. Did the air cleaner get saturated with oil? Maybe needs cleaned of excess oil. Did you refill the oil after you drained the oil? Maybe the low oil sensor acting funny?

Just a thought. Did the air cleaner get saturated with oil? Maybe needs cleaned of excess oil. Did you refill the oil after you drained the oil? Maybe the low oil sensor acting funny?
The air cleaner might of got oil into it I haven't checked it yet. I did refill it with oil so I don't think that has anything to do with it.

The bike got laid on it's side. Oil did what it does. It found every available crevice to leak into. Put the bike in a brace, so it is at a true vertical. Remove the plug, remove the air filter, if you have the skill, remove the carb.
Trow away the air filter and buy a new one. Get a new pug while you're at it. Clean everything you can, (air box, tubes, etc.). If you removed the carb, spray it with carb cleaner and let it drain, then dry it.
Now that the bike has sat upright for a day, drain the oil again. Now replace everything with new/ cleaned parts. If the oil didn't get to your coil, you should be ready to go.

The bike got laid on it's side. Oil did what it does. It found every available crevice to leak into. Put the bike in a brace, so it is at a true vertical. Remove the plug, remove the air filter, if you have the skill, remove the carb.
Trow away the air filter and buy a new one. Get a new pug while you're at it. Clean everything you can, (air box, tubes, etc.). If you removed the carb, spray it with carb cleaner and let it drain, then dry it.
Now that the bike has sat upright for a day, drain the oil again. Now replace everything with new/ cleaned parts. If the oil didn't get to your coil, you should be ready to go.
So you were right, the air filter was absolutely the culprit. I took it off today and noticed it was saturated with oil. With the air filter removed, I tried to start it up and it fired up first pull like it was new, gave it a little test ride and no issues with idling or anything. So now my question are do i have to buy a new filter, or can I clean the one I have. And, is it ok to run it without the air filter for a little while until I get an new one?

Thanks everyone!

So you were right, the air filter was absolutely the culprit. I took it off today and noticed it was saturated with oil. With the air filter removed, I tried to start it up and it fired up first pull like it was new, gave it a little test ride and no issues with idling or anything. So now my question are do i have to buy a new filter, or can I clean the one I have. And, is it ok to run it without the air filter for a little while until I get an new one?

Thanks everyone!
I would just clean it with dawn dish soap and water. Dry it well, like squeeze it on an old towel. Mist it very lightly with oil and be good to go.

If your in a low dust area (like I am in cold Michigan winter) I wouldn't worry about an air cleaner TEMPORARILY. They are there for a reason though. Dirt is bad for a carburetor and the inside of an engine.

Pat

SAS289

Yeah. If the outside foam element got oily that isn't a problem. Just clean it, re oil it, squeeze it out and go. But if the main filter got oily then it's over. You will need to buy a new one because the oil will be stopping or restricting the airflow at the oily part of the filter.

Personally, I would replace the filter. Motor oil is not at all like the film oil used in the filters. Well, the are both oil! :)
Point being, it was very likely saturated. It would take a very, very thorough cleaning to get the motor oil out. Again, personally, I shake off as much water as possible, from the filter, then let it air dry for at least 24 hours before re-oiling. I;m not saying it is a better way, just my way to clean and oiled filter.