H50 Tecumseh vs. Briggs Raptor

Gosh dang a i/c bearing Briggs over the best teke would outlast and out perform a teke but if there were more parts for the teke it would compete well. It's like Chevy and ford.

First full of bar soaps, "is there any verdict" had me climb out of my zero dollar funding for this escapade!
Hey it's been a year, and if you support our troops then hang on! Ford versus Chevy insanity
to fruition, BUT WAIT, there's more!! I still have both engines, and a Stellar Quasi as a test bed, and will be ramping
this up for sure. We are gonna keep em stock and give em a 200 foot drag test. Weekly post for sure. Just got a $333
Donation from The Kabuki Race Team so it's a major start! So we are on for the big bombastic!!!!
Please chime in on your thoughts as the Tecumseh 5.0 versus the Briggs 5hp Fight, fight fight, (Itchy and Scratchy).

Last edited:

fistfullabar

As i sit here "soaping" i too suffer from a "lack of funds" Was hoping to live vicarious thru the thread florida mini bikes!
Still gotta get MB165 to give the engine a go thru make sure it is up to specs. Will try and get him to take a bunch of pics to get more info out about these cool engines!

CarPlayLB

Tec's suck! Briggs rule!
Put a dollar limit on it broke boys! See what builds the most power for cheap...and not blow up! Briggs for the win! Carry on!

A Briggs with a welded block and a 7x cam with stiffer valve springs and cast aluminum flywheel will outrev out power and be more reliable than a heavily modified hs50.

A Briggs with a welded block and a 7x cam with stiffer valve springs and cast aluminum flywheel will outrev out power and be more reliable than a heavily modified hs50.
Apparently you don't know much about HS 50's . There are no hop up parts made for them . What's in my motor is a dyno cam for a OHV tech motor with only 255 lift about the same as a stock raptor and a ARC rod for same said motor . Running stock springs and valves and stock shitty carb . I'll run this against a stock raptor any day or any Briggs with similar parts .

First full of bar soaps, "is there any verdict" had me climb out of my zero dollar funding for this escapade!
Hey it's been a year, and if you support our troops then hang on! Ford versus Chevy insanity
to fruition, BUT WAIT, there's more!! I still have both engines, and a Stellar Quasi as a test bed, and will be ramping
this up for sure. We are gonna keep em stock and give em a 200 foot drag test. Weekly post for sure. Just got a $333
Donation from The Kabuki Race Team so it's a major start! So we are on for the big bombastic!!!!
Please chime in on your thoughts as the Tecumseh 5.0 versus the Briggs 5hp Fight, fight fight, (Itchy and Scratchy).
This thread makes me moist.

I know it isn't stock but it's a Tec from Mike Clements. Good for 20hp. I would have to say that if you took a Briggs raptor and put it against a Tec motorsports H50 the Briggs would loose. The H50 motorsports came from the factory with billet rod with a bearing insert, dual valve springs, stainless valves, a Tillotson Hl363b alky carb all stuff the raptor was lacking. Tecumseh went bankrupt before they could really do some damage. If you took a briggs i/c and a Tec H50 both with governors from say a tiller the Briggs would be the better choice. Both have rod failures once the governor has been removed. They both have their pros and cons.
11760096_1001330159911769_1082729838784047841_n.jpg

+1 on that. in the controlled stock kart class the H50 motorsports was considered to be stronger than the briggs controlled stock motor. Both motors were factory made and for controlled stock racing no mods were allowed, motors had to be run as the factory made them. The tec came unassembled as a kit. There were two different tillotsons for them one gas and one alky. Mine came with a HL 365B gas carb.

CarPlayLB

I had one of the H50 Motorsport engines. It was definitely a very strong piece. The crank alone was probably a pound heavier and machined very nicely...nothing crude about it! Aftermarket support for 5HP/Raptor engines is the difference though.

Thanks for all the Insane thoughts, I am getting closer to putting these two monsters up for show before we massage them and
put them head to head for the ultimate slam dunk. Keep the insanity going, cause it will only get worse, and that's how we roll!

The Briggs was built well from the start. It was not built for 20hp. A little too thin but there only problem is the block. I haven't blew a jug off but I've cracked a case. I dropped it while I was putting it in a scrap pile because it was a pos. Now if they put out aftermarket parts for the 14.5 and 12.5 hp ohv Briggs wich everyone has or had I think those blocks could support 40hp. Or even the 10hp Briggs flathead. It has a thick block. If you really need power. Snowmobile motor!

Didnt the briggs have a longer stroke/smaller bore and the tecs have a shorter stroke/bigger bore? If so, obviously the tec is gonna hold up to revs better and be a bit snappier.