Heald Inc VT-3 or 5

View attachment 79759

Pulled this from some tall weeds near an abandoned railroad track south of Crawfordsville, IN. I've known it's there for 15-20 years, I saw it while riding 4 wheelers. Not far from where they run the "Iron Man" competition. Well, I was back out that way a couple weeks ago and on a whim - decided to go see if it was still there. Low and behold, it was. I couldn't quite remember the exact location or if I could get to it, but I was able to hack my way to it after my 5 year old spotted it (pictured). What you see is what I've got, no more or less.

I did some research, ended up on this forum and figured out what it was. I placed a call to Power Tec, spoke with Rom Kmball - manual's on its way. Time to make a shopping list.

I'll be restoring it and it will be an X-Mas present for my father who is 65 and fell in love with it the moment he saw it. I've already got it disassembled and ready for sandblast, powder coat, and chrome.

Attachments

buckeye

Awesome find.
And even better plan.
Rick Chatten is a real knowledgeable fella. Chatten63

Welcome to the Heald owners group.

Nice find. What size is the rear tire on the bike. Also noticed that it looks to have 2 L brackets holding rear fender on. The front rim you need to save those are very hard to find with brake drum on them. If you find blue paint it will be a VT3. If you find red paint it will be a VT5. Hs 40 and hs50 were used on the 3's. And hs50 was used on the 5's

chatten63
What size is the rear tire on the bike. Also noticed that it looks to have 2 L brackets holding rear fender on. The front rim you need to save those are very hard to find with brake drum on them. If you find blue paint it will be a VT3.
Well, it's a VT-3, dirt and grease preserved some blue paint. Rear tire is 21 X 12 - 8. Anyone know what shade the blue paint is? I know the red is International Harvester. Powder coat for the frame maybe too expensive if it's a non-standard color, I may just shoot it with a one shot enamel. Started hammering out the dents in the chrome pieces, welding some cracks, need to get it prepped for re-chrome. Someone booger-welded junk on the frame, ground it all off. Dropping off for media blast today.

Here's a few photos for your entertainment.

20151123_144223.jpg 20151123_143904.jpg 20151123_143955.jpg 20151123_144236.jpg 20151123_144244.jpg 20151123_144318.jpg 20151123_144327.jpg

jeep4me

Did the vt3 come with a tire that size on the rear? Looks more like a vt7 to me.

Nice project though.

If you're spending the cash on chrome, I would definitely spend the extra on powdercoating. You'll be glad you did.

Powder coat, yup.

Did the vt3 come with a tire that size on the rear? Looks more like a vt7 to me.

Nice project though.

If you're spending the cash on chrome, I would definitely spend the extra on powder coating. You'll be glad you did.
For budget purposes, the quote for media blasting + powder coating everything I have = $300.00. Do it....
- Powder Coat: Frame, brackets, wheels.
- Media blast: Frame, misc brackets, wheels, and chrome handlebars.

I don't know about the rear tire size vs model or if it's even the original. I'd like to put an ATV tire (rounded) on the front, I don't like the turf tire. I'd like them to match for handling purposes, and if anyone knows what size to use, cool. I assumed the VT-3 because after my conversation with Ron Kimball from Power Tec, he said if it's blue, that's what it was. I don't know if the VT-7 came with telescoping handlebars.

Rusty

You have a VT7. That size tire will not fit in a VT3 or 5 frame opening. Front tire is a 18x8.5x8 on VT7. On the frame-rear wheel mount flange to flange opening will measure 14.5" front fork will be 9 3/8" inside tube to tube opening. You will also have a rear fender mount about 2"s in front of the rear drop of frame rails. Upside down U shape with 2 holes in it. Do you have 2 holes drilled in top frame rails about 4"s in front of seat mount hinge. If so it was a factory electric start bike. It also has 2 rear lower fender mount L brackets for mounting fender to motor plate

I can give you a paint code to look up for the blue if you want. I found that a 18x9.5x8 duro hf240 knobby Will work on the rear of a VT3 and 5. It will be tight on the front of the VT7. You will need to experiment on air psi to clear fork boots. You will like the handling better. Karen(manchester1) has the seat pattern and does an awsom job on them too. Seat will be same size as a VT8 and 10.

I will look paint code up this weekend for you. For the red bikes people need to be carefull with the internation tractor red. There are 2 reds that were used on them. You will need to go with the older international red from the 70's-,the newer red is too Orange in color .

Does anyone have an image file of the "Heald Inc. Super Bronc" found on the back of the seat, and the vinyl\wood\foam seat patterns? I'm sitting at my shop with an embroidery machine\ and making a few things today, it would be nice to knock this out today.

Rusty

Frame cracks

I ground off the boogers from the amateur welds on the front of the frame and found cracks. Prepping prior to media blast\powder coat. In order to repair, I'm going to weld in place a piece which looks like this. I'll add the screws for looks, but the piece will be structural (welded from behind) in order to mask the repairs. Anyone have the measurements for it?

FrameShrunk.jpg f1Vos.jpg

I matched up the blue when I dropped off the wheels at Indy Powder Coatings, thank you. I'll drop off the frame and forks on Monday after frame repairs and touch-ups are complete.