Heald VT-5 Basket case.

I found this roller Heald VT-5 bike on CL and bought it. It does have straight handle bars and forks so that good, I,m going to need a jack shaft plate for it to make the brake work, If anyone has one they want to sell,also foot pegs,seat,fenders let me know. I did talk Ron and have new axles and spacer on there way. It is amazing how over the years people are able to loose this kinda stuff.

Nice find Pat :thumbsup:

Talk to Ratbike. He just rigged one up with his own jackshaft idea using a clutch instead of a TAV and that way he used a clutch brake. Fenders are gonna be tough to find, The shocks can use any thing close and if you catch Kenny before he retires you can get a seat .

I was going to pm Kenny to see how much a seat runs, I,m going to need one,
I like the size of this bike, I should bought the red one you sold Greg in the fall.

Here is a better shot of the rear mounts, Yours is missing the rear fender bracket that might make it look a little different. I have a Azusa chrome front fender I use on the doodle bug, looks like it will be a good fit on the front of the VT-5.
Has anyone come up with a rear mounted brake to the hub. I ask Ron Kimball about a front brake assemble and he said they did not work good on the bikes.

I'm glad you bought it. I was trying to decide if I should drive my stationwagon to my Mom's in Elmore this weekend just in case the roller was still available. Now I can drive my wife's car; better mileage. Thanks for helping me out.

My VT3 that I bought my kids in 1970 has a front brake. I don't remember it working particularly well. Ron said they made them available so bikes could be street legal in some jurisdictions.

Your minibike was sold as a VT3 because it is blue. VT5's were red. Same bike either way.

Your's does have the later design lower front forks.

All jackshaft parts are available except the bracket. You can fabricate that. I was going to get some bent up and bored, just haven't got at it.

I have a lot of Sebac shocks in various condition. Most of them are disassembled for sandblasting and painting. Cost to chrome springs is prohibitive. I was going to do them over the winter, again, didn't get at it.

Since I started volunteering to tutor 6 yearolds in Detroit, I don't get a lot of minibike things done. But, having a great time with the kids!

I have two complete VT3/5's and two disassembled. I can provide pics and dimensions of anything you need. PM me anytime.

My wife and I met you at Frank Mathison's a year or two ago. How time flys!

Thanks useng1,
I do remember you.
You must a been the other guy he said email him about it. I did get the bike for less than the asking price. It was missing a lot. This one is red under the graphite paint.
I could use some good pictures and dimensions on the bracket. I did order some foot pegs and a new rear sprocket from Ron also, He a real nice guy to work with.
If you got anything you like to sell that I need to finish this one, let me know. I want to get this up and running by summer,
I think I got bit by the Heald bug now. Now I need Super bronc. I miss out on Oldsleds bronc. That sure went quick.

P.S do you have a picture of what the rear seat mount and shock mount looks like.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Thanks useng1,
I do remember you.
You must a been the other guy he said email him about it. I did get the bike for less than the asking price. It was missing a lot. This one is red under the graphite paint.
I could use some good pictures and dimensions on the bracket. I did order some foot pegs and a new rear sprocket from Ron also, He a real nice guy to work with.
If you got anything you like to sell that I need to finish this one, let me know. I want to get this up and running by summer,
I think I got bit by the Heald bug now. Now I need Super bronc. I miss out on Oldsleds bronc. That sure went quick.

P.S do you have a picture of what the rear seat mount and shock mount looks like.
Heald bikes are addicting, once you ride a VT8 you will love it. Its like riding a bull.

I'd like to find a little VT5, but 5HP motors are so disappointing...

toomanytoys

haha.

I love the hill topper I am restoring, its such a fun bike to ride, but if it only had say, 5 more HP it would probably move up into my favorite bike ever.

:doah: Thanks any way. I have an HS40 I was think I might put on it with my TAV and make a long shaft to go into the J/S box so I can use the shaft drum brake :thumbsup:

have you tried spraying penetrating lube in teeth and behind the plastic recoil wheel. then working the cord in and out. I gotten them to work right again by doing that, if the spring isn't broken.

have you tried spraying penetrating lube in teeth and behind the plastic recoil wheel. then working the cord in and out. I gotten them to work right again by doing that, if the spring isn't broken.
:laugh: Metal wheel 4 bolt and I did that and nutin, gona go take it apart as soon as the game is over :doah: I hope the spring isnt broke :laugh: if it is maybe TRK has one that works ...lol

Minibikedude, you need to fab a jackshaft mount just like the original. I bought the last one that Ron had a few years ago. I made up a perfect set of drawings for another member a while back, I'll try to find them.
The drum brake on the jackshaft works very well, it's all you need. Oh, and the 5hp is just fine. With everything working as it should, crack the throttle and it wheelies everytime! I have to lean forward or I get in trouble. :laugh:

I would appreciate any measurement on the bracket and picture of the original set up.
I got my new 2 axles with nuts,sprocket and 2 foot pegs from Ron, They we not cheap, 97 bucks later.