help understanding wheel and tire options

So looking g through the 6 and 8 inch wheels and I noticed most are max of 3.5" wide. Do I need a 5" wide wheel to support a 5" wide tire?

I need a front brake if possible so what are my options for a wide front tire with a brake?
For my Trisport any links or info appreciated.

You can use the tire and rim in your post.

It is normal for a rim to be a little skinnier than the tire. Usually 1/2" to 1". a 5" wide tire on a 3 1/2" rim works but is as far as I would go.

But then again, there are times where you want a rim as wide or wider than the tire....

I think tires and wheels look and work best when the tire tread is the same width as the rim.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
That tire and wheel combo will work fine with each other but, you will need a tube.

However, Tri-Sport, depending on the model may have not had such a tall wheel.

This combo would be around 13 - 14" tall, so 7" from the axle to the ground.

The Trike may have come with a 8" wheel?

Last edited:
Hi drummer:

Unfortunately, you can only get what's available in the way of both wheels and tires. I've obsessed over this myself for some time on my own projects. That said, it seems a tire a bit wider may offer a certain amount of protection for the wheel. I've seen too many nice used rims with chips out of the outer edges and often wondered if a wider tire could have prevented some of these damages. Additionally, (and I know this is subjective) I think slightly wider tires always look a little better.

All the best, Henry

Yeah I hear ya there SunnyKnoll. I just am clueless on these crazy tube sizes.
And honestly OldMiniBikes doesnt do a great job of this on their website. I think they should really create a link to show you what tires and tubes they carry work on the wheels you've selected.
Almost no one does that and I bet if someone did they would sell more wheels and tires. Right now i'm on the verge of just calling it quits looking until I find a wheel and tire already together somewhere like I want....could be never haha.