Home made spring cups

I'm in the process of rebuilding the forks on my El Tigre, the upper spring cups were damaged, I needed 1 5/8" and could only find 1 7/8" spring cups. Amazingly, steel, small block Chevy freeze plugs were the exact size, so I welded the spring retainer from an over sized pair of cups on the freeze plugs, and put in a 7/8" hole. I think it might work. (even with my sh**ty welds) FullSizeRender-5.jpg

Looks good Fred.

I love it when folks figure out a workaround like that.

How did you get the idea though...were you already familiar with what the freeze plug looked like, or did someone at a parts house suggest it, or what ?

Last edited:
Thanks Robert, I noticed a freeze plug in my tool box junk drawer and discovered it was the perfect size. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart. After some fabricating, they actually looked like the originals....and it worked. I welded them on today. FullSizeRender-6.jpg

Doesn't matter; nearly everything's been done before; doesn't depreciate your work. :thumbsup:
No, and I obviously sent him a PM on this. I included three separate links to the latest discussion in 2017, to an earlier one in 2012. Since many of the participants in those threads and in ensuing PM discussions are still active members, and since several have commented here, I felt Freddie should be made aware.

Apparently, since Freddie just pretty much made me look like an asshole here, I made the wrong decision in sending Freddie that Private Message on the subject.

I never meant to PRIVATELY infer that Freddie was taking credit for the ideas of Yellowhand, and a few others. Yellowhand is where I got the idea from by the way.

Wow. Just fricking...wow.

That wasn't my intention at all Dave, I'm sorry you took it that way. I have the utmost respect for you, and always considered you a friend...and I still do.
As do I with you, hence the Private Message. I hope we're still friends, but I'll be gollyhobsrogled if I am going to utter a public apology for a frikking private message. LMAO! In reality, I've been fixing my Flea alignment in the garage, and coming in now and then to check parts.

Oh and GREAT IDEA using a Freeze Plug to make a fork spring cup! :thumbsup:

brown boonie

JUST REMEMBER-EXPECT IT WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT!
Even if it has been posted before, it is a good idea, and he may have not seen the older post . I don't go back that far most times, and don't recall that particular post. Guess dave has a mind like a steel trap and remembers good ideas. If nothing else, it is a refresher that we all should check some of the older posts on here. Probably a lot of great ideas we never have thought of.