Hornet. Rear wheel/Sprocket/Brake and foot peg.

I recently acquired a K&S hornet hard-tail with a good front wheel and very little rust. I know these are not collectible and my intention is to fix it up to make a nice rideable minibike. That being said, I needing advice about a rear wheel/brake assembly. The front wheel is the original 6" wheel and is in great shape.. I need some recommendations for where and what rear wheel to get for this thing. I need one that is the same size as the front, will fit on the standard 5/8 inch axle, and has some kind of drum or disk brake mechanism to safely stop the bike. I am also looking for an original foot peg that fits on the foot peg mount of the Hornet. Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

It should have Go Powers or Mancos. I bought one to get the Go Power front, but It has Mancos on it now. Post a pic when/if you can. Also, they are collectable. Maybe not sought after, but any vintage mini is collectable, and tastes change, so who knows????

Thanks for the input Guys!

I promise I will post pictures on this thread soon! I bought this roller off of craigslist but unfortunatley, only the front wheel is original, the rear wheel is single piece off of a lawn mower or golf cart. It is also missing one of its foot pegs (Bonanza fold-up type) and I would definitley like to find one of a matching pair. It looks like it has a 6" Manco front wheel that is original and it just needs new bearings and a good cleaning. Also, the jackshaft mounts have been cut off. The good news is that the forks are perfectly straight and there is only surface rust, no deep pitting on the frame. I would not know even where to start on the rear wheel. I would prefer to have an original wheel brake setup but with no jackshaft? I would like a good solid rear wheel setup with a decent braking system. I would prefer not to use the Azuza 6" wheel with the Azuza drum brake system. I worked decently for me in the past but I would like to explore other options. I know Big-Dog sells a rear-wheel braking system but it costs an arm and a leg. This is my second minibike, the first one was a large two-piece Lil-indian which was not as well made. Again, any advie where to start with the rear wheel/brake and pootpeg would be greatly appreciated!

I wish i knew where to find ya a footpeg. I have a pair, but they are going back on the bike...

Try the 'wanted' section here. I betcha someone has one.

You could always use a clutch brake if your not too dead'set on a rear wheel brake.

Hows GB doing!!!! :laugh: I know the guy that sold you that bike. If you want, you can call me and I'll give you an earfull about the K&S bike you have. I have Two of them and I'm a hop skip and jump from ya.

Great start to a project .... I was very happy when I found mine ... Very collectable IMO ... :thumbsup: ... I'll talk K&S with ya as well ... Clutch/brake is the way to go ... Scorp , BL , yourself and others here local should get together ...

Man you guys beat me to all the bikes. Saw that one and wanted it but I need to get an engine in my truck before I buy another mini. The truck is the only thing I have to haul them in.

my K&S doesnt have the folding handlebars. Its just regular old mini bike forks.
After cleaning up the rear go power wheel, I found it to be cracked near the sprocket mounting bosses. BOOOOOOO!!!!

Yea, we all need to get together sometime. :thumbsup::scooter:

my K&S doesnt have the folding handlebars. Its just regular old mini bike forks.
After cleaning up the rear go power wheel, I found it to be cracked near the sprocket mounting bosses. BOOOOOOO!!!!

Yea, we all need to get together sometime. :thumbsup::scooter:
Most of the Go Power II wheels are all cracked there ... Is your bike the scrub brake type set-up ? ... I have a complete folding bar type front fork set-up if ya want it ... Give me a call ... Scorp has my number if ya can't find it