How are you guys building your steering heads?

Frame builders: How are you guys building your steering heads? Are you using bearings or bushings? Size of tubing? Bearing #'s?

I use whatever iv got :laugh: I built a couple with bearings and a couple with bronze bushings. I just match up a bolt with my bearings or bushings then find a pipe thats strong enough and the right size to fit them in. get that all done and welded on then build the forks. Just dont do it the old way with a bolt in a pipe and nothing else

I didnt take any real pics but the OEM used 1 3/8 head stock with nylon bushings and I replaced them with bearings, 1 3/8 x 5/8 bearing is very common

Just dont do it the old way with a bolt in a pipe and nothing else
My NEW Azusa kit is exactly that,a 5/8" bolt through the 3/16" upper and lower "tree's" and through a thick wall chunk of what appears to be DOM tubing.
My ArcticCat project was 1-1/2" tube that looked to be relieved for ball bearings,but as a devotee of overkill,I centered a chunk of .120 wall,1-1/4 DOM inside the neck,and tacked it in,then slid a chunk of .120wall 1" DOM inside that with bronze bushings and a 5/8 bolt. The bushings protrude just above the level of the 1-1/2,so my pivots rest on a full 1" surface and basically a 1" shaft.

Last edited:
I didnt take any real pics but the OEM used 1 3/8 head stock with nylon bushings and I replaced them with bearings, 1 3/8 x 5/8 bearing is very common
So what size of pipe/tubing does that bearing fit into (i know 1 3/8 inner but what outer)? What do I ask the steel guy for?

Thats nice work Yellowhand!!:thumbsup:

and 1 5/8" x 1/8" wall tube will work (that gives ya 1 3/8" ID). That way regular mini bike wheel bearings will work in it.