how to knock rust loose from inside your old gas tank

good to do as an alternative to pouring in that "liner" crap that deteriorates over time and gums up fuel system in the future. tank cannot be rusted clear through.
take a shotgun shell of buckshot and carefully/ safely dump out buckshot.
remove the tank from bike, remove petcock and gas cap if possible.
shake out any loose rust. clean thoroughly with soap and Hot water. as Hot water will speed the drying process. drain upside down until dry and fuel smell is faint if any at all. repeat untill as described above. dump buckshot into tank.
put two or three layers of t shirt material over the cap and petcock holes and ziptie each in place. this allows the tank to breathe. tight wrapping also works- the point is to keep shot in and to let the tank breathe through the process.
wrap the tank in beach towels (or other thick material thats expendable) over and over until there is a full 4" thick of towel material built up around the entire circumference of the tank. secure withe 1/4" inch cord, old bootlaces- whatever will hold tight.
wait till the old lady leaves.
turn the dryer to "no heat" setting and put the tank in for five minutes at a time. empty out balls and rust. dump buckshot back in and repeat until just clean shot comes out replacing buckshot with fresh ones if necessary.
of course with discretion you can use double oo buckshot (bigger) or bird shot (smaller) or whatever you deem most appropriate for the given thickness of tank walls and degree of rust.
this is a viable solution for most tanks- especially mini's as they are so small to start with.
REMEMBER!!! "NO HEAT" SETTING ON DRIER!!!
please post any other potential remedies folks! and thanks!

Last edited:
put about a dozen marbles and start shaken,better yet let your wife/girlfriend do it for ya with a tank top on,then sit back and enjoy.When shes done then use evaporust.

This thread could also be titled "How to become a Single Man"...

Or "How to get a Christmas card from your Appliance Repairman."

Suggestion....same game plan ...coin laundry..... 3:00 AM

jes sayin :shrug:

This thread could also be titled "How to become a Single Man"...

Or "How to get a Christmas card from your Appliance Repairman."

Suggestion....same game plan ...coin laundry..... 3:00 AM

jes sayin :shrug:
well if your going to the L mat might as well take along your dirty greas rags,
na that ant fare,the rags i ment:laugh:

Last edited:
well if your going to the L mat might as well take along your dirty greas rags,
na that ant fare,the rags i ment:laugh:
I have a rather rusty rupp tank that needs this therapy. My research lead me to find. you can also use ice chips. I'll probably just use small nuts and bolts though.
Has anyone heard of Rusteco?

God way to knock the paddles off the dryer sounds like, hell shoes can do that so a tank?:eek:ut: I used Evaporust and some washers and nuts and shook the hell out of it, let it sit overnight upside down and upright and shook it more. So clean I can see the brass they used to braze it together. I swear by the stuff!:thumbsup:

Naval gelly or phophoric acid weld cleaner with something like shot to knock the rust loose will clean the inside of that tank completely free of rust in a few minuts.

Fastest most sure fire solution.

Evaporust is Kealation ( SP ? ).
different chemstry than an acid.

Molasys also removes rust but its realy slow ( not a joke )

Cola removes rust because it contains phosphoric acid ( makes you think about what your drink now doesn't it )

What ever you use you need to getthe tank dry and old ASAP and I do believe in POR-15 to seal a tank ( except for methanol )

markus

I used the dryer method years ago with my 1947 cushman tank. It was round so it worked well in the dryer. I used small drywall screws ( I had an extra box of them) and a little bit of playground sand. I let that bay tumble for about an hour. came out clean as a whistle. No holes or leaks either. Not bad for bieng parked outside for close to 40 years ( I wish everything was built like the early cushmans were!)

Two birds one stone. Evaporust and fasteners shaken and allowed to sit several hours in different positions and shaken and moved each time. Done it to some motorcycle tanks and they were bad and came out very well, that stuff is truly awesome and it can be re-used several times so you get your $20 out of a gallon. The fasteners come out like new as well as help remove scale. BBs work too and buckshot I suppose but I'm not cuttin no shell to get to it, they sell it for us home reloaders!:thumbsup:
Ace