How to properly remove a Salsbury 500 series clutch

capguncowboy

I have come to the conclusion that this is a 500 series. I can't quite make out the markings due to pitting. I tried sanding the surface, but it didn't seem to help much. I need to remove the clutch so I can rebuild the engine and clean and lube the clutch too.

I have scratched my head for the past 2-3 hours and can't seem to figure out how this clutch comes apart. I removed the snap ring, and obviously the bolt that goes on the end. I see that there are three 1/8" allen screws, but they won't budge, despite having soaked them for 2 hours. Do I need to keep pursuing this or is that even how it comes apart? If that is how it comes apart, I might end up having to drill them out before it's over.

I looked online for an exploded view, but can't seem to find one anywhere.

I don't know much about that clutch but if you let that soak for a couple days with PB blaster, I bet it will come loose with no problem.:thumbsup:

capguncowboy

I'm not quite ready to hack it to pieces yet. I'd like to salvage it for my bike, if I can.

I've got the 3 bolts soaking right now. I'll update as soon as I make some progress... or decide I hate it enough to cut it off

Andrew can you heat those three allen head bolts, cherry red and then spray them with cold water. If that doesn't work use a small chisel and a hammer....dig into the bolt head with the chisel in a counter clockwise motion. If that fails....GOOD Luck !!!! :laugh: Get a 1/4 left handed drill bit maybe it will hang in the bolt head and screw it out (counter clock wise drill bit).

capguncowboy

I ended up having to drill out the allens. After soaking for a couple of days, they still wouldn't budge. I ended up stripping one of them, so out came the drill.

The inside is very unique and extremely complex, compared to modern TAVs.

I got the bowl off, and was able to disassemble the internals. Everything looks rebuildable thus far.

Does anyone know how this portion comes apart? Brute force with a puller seems like it would just destroy the back plate

Put a short aluminum or brass rod against the shaft and use an air hammer against the brass rod while holding on to the backing plate. It should drive it out unless it dissimilar metals.

I'd use a torch...
Heat lightly, keep it moving and use the brass punch technique with an adequet backing plate to drive out the shaft.

I'm confused...I know I know , nothing new right ?!?! Is this a press fit, ? Does it use a bolt at the end of the crank ? Does it have set screws in the back side that hold it to the pto shaft ? :confused:

capguncowboy

So, I'm a few steps ahead of where I was, but not by much. I managed to get the outer portion of the internals off the clutch sleeve. I put a puller on it and just cranked it down until it popped off. It took my brother and I both applying pressure to it with a 2 foot torque extender before it finally broke free.

Then the key was stuck and despite persuading it with heat and a punch for quite some time, it still wouldn't budge. I ended up just grinding it flat and will worry about removing it later.

I attempted to heat the clutch shaft to get it to break free from the engine shaft, but it's not budging. I can't put a puller on it without snapping the rear half of the pulley. I had thought about setting the engine outside so it can cool down to about 10ºF, then putting a torch to it. I figured the inner shaft will shrink and the outer portion will expand and perhaps break free. Anyone have any ideas?

capguncowboy

Every day, I'm leaning more and more that way :laugh:

Until it comes down to do or die time, I'm not too worried about it. Right now, I'm just killing time until it warms up outside and I can really get started on this thing.