how would i attach a headlight?

i got the baja doodlebug for christmas and i want to ride it at night a lot but it doesnt have a headlight, im not that good with engines and wiring and stuff like that so i just wanted to see where i could get a big headlight for it that is battery powered, does anyone know where i could get one for a cheap price? thanks for answering.

just get a battery powered bicycle light and zip tie it on. my friend did that on one of his bikes and it works decently.

i prefer to use a head light for camping when i do my night riding.

i have one that's like this:

Cabela's RGB Headlamp

i put a $12 generator head/tail light on mine in 15 min. I put the ganorator on the rear disk side and the headligh bolts to the front fender bolt. The little tail light bolts arount the bar behind the seat! Works well, take no batteries and looks trick :scooter:

delray

i modified a bicycle generator that runs off the chain and works great. you also can just use a rechargable battery instead of a generator. battery will last long time if you use led lights:thumbsup:

5 led lights instead of reg flashlight bulb

rechargable 6volt or 12volt battery

bike has been modified with all led lights and draws very little amps. so a battery would still work real good for your project:thumbsup:
YouTube - minibike lights

fonz

Here's my set up. A rechargeable scooter battery. The toggle switch runs a head light and tail light. I also have a horn with a button switch near the brake handle grip.

delray

also working on a second project with lights and the headlight unit can hold a larger bulb. size of a 1156 bulb. so i going to try one of these led bulbs that can hold 15 leds or up to 20 leds. it should fit under the lens and also need to find how much amps a 15 leds pulls and a 20 leds pulls before buying them. generator only puts out 3 amps and from what research i found a 15 led pulls only .9 amps:thumbsup:

more leds pointing into inside the reflecter of the headlight,the brighter it will be. all the power or i should say light from a led comes from the tip of it. so you need it to point into the reflecter so it can amplify the brightness better and becoming much brighter then a reg-bulb would be. i also may hook up a small rechargable battery,this way i have lights also at idle and when the generator is spinning, it's recharging the battery?

I had a 5 LED module run off of 4 AA cell batteries for a few months straight, so they don't draw much at all.

Where did you find that genrrator and light at Delray?

Might have to get a MC battery box. Wonder if one of those generators would work as an alternator. Maybe rig a MC alternator somehow?

Last edited:

delray

generator i found at shopko for $14. purchase couple of them 2years ago. you also can find them on ebay for $14+ or higher $$. headlight found on ebay. i would think they would work has long as you use led lights,so the generator has some amp's to recharge the battery? reg-bulbs would pull to much juice and not enough to recharge the battery good:doah:
have to do more research and see how much amp's you would need to keep the battery charge good?
6volt battery

my second project with a modified generator mounted with amber led light for my first test run. please note in the video it takes very little energy to run a led light:thumbsup:
YouTube - minibike jackshaft,generator-light

I saw two scruffy looking kids at the corner gas station last night with a DB-30, they were sittin' on the ground because a cop had stopped 'em! (I then zipped home to make sure that MY db-30 was in my yard still, and not down at the gas station!)

They had one of those big old 6v-lantern-battery flashlights tied in between the handle bars with STRING. :thumbsup:

later,
Jason/burndup

I know the mini-baja comes with a light (a friend has one). It runs dimly at idle, but brightens up once the rpms rise. I'll ask him how his is hooked up.

I just used a round automotive fog light from Grote (chrome) and a standard marker light for a tail light. I put a 12V scooter battery under the seat in a custom box and I switched everything over to LED for longer battery life. Check out my pics. I'm pretty happy with the results.:smile: