HS50 Valve keeper/spring question

Last winter my snowblower (10 years old) gave out one last backfire and then wouldn't start. Good thing it was the last real snowstorm of the year. There was no compression as observed from the starting cord spinning over effortlessly so I put it away and was reintroduced to the snow shovel. Last night, the HS50 /5HP was torn down and I found the exhaust valve to have come off the keeper and the spring was just laying in there. Other than the engine showing a high amount of carbon build up, the engine is still in good shape in my opinion. Walls of cylinder still have hone marks and looks clean, interior of block is clean.

My question is what causes the valve to come off the keeper/spring- worn springs? And is there anything else I should look over before putting it back together so that it doesn't happen again this winter when it's needed most? Anyone have a good source for a gasket rebuild kit (and springs if you recommend they be changed). This engine has the PTO output shaft for the drive wheels, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks!

125ccCrazy

I would check to see if the valve guide is excessively worn and if the valve stem is worn on an angle...I seen this on a 5hp Briggs... also check the keeper for any cracks... I've used 5hp Briggs exh springs in the hs50...

Thanks 125cc, I appreciate the solid advice. I did find a source for new keepers and springs with a gasket kit and will check on the condition of the guides and valve stem.