hydraulic brake kit for Motovox MBX10

Hi guys,
It's been awhile since I last posted, but I haven't lost interest. My question is... I'd like to improve the braking capability on my Motovox bike. The single mechanical brake just don't cut the muster, as most of you already know.
I see that Hotrod minibike is out of stock on their kits for this bike. Is there a source where I can purchase the parts and put my own brake setup together?...scooter parts supply, etc.?

Thank you! I appreciate any help and suggestions you can offer.

Jack

Last edited:
You want to upgrade the rear to hydro or add a front as well? HRMB sells the kits as you said. You can get the pocket bike calipers from eBay and buy the brake hose and lever separate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarPlayLB

OldMiniBikes has the hydraulic brake kits for the Doodle Bug that will fit the disc brake model Motovox bikes. They have the master cylinder lever, hose, and caliper already put together with fluid! The hose is 49" long and will fit the Motovox!

Thank you guys, I appreciate your suggestions.
I wasn't sure if I could use a caliper for a scooter or pocketbike. Like I mentioned previously, HRMB is out of the kits for the MBX, but sells the components separately.

I found out that OldMiniBikes has the kit for the DB30. I wasn't 100% sure I could use it on bike. My concern was caliper mounting dimensions and hose length. I guess the Dooblebug is close in dimensions to the Motovox.

Thanks for answering that question for me. Now I know I can proceed with the purchase.
As you know, the braking on these bikes are less than adequate, especially running a Predator 212. I'd hate to do any further mods until the braking situation was resolved. I would still consider adding a front disc brake as well...probably a mechanical brake.

I was told that the hydraulic caliper for the Motovox is larger than the caliper for the DB...aside from being clocked differently.
I also noticed when I was perusing You Tube, A guy was using a caliper meant for a Motovox on his DB. He cut and re-welded the mounting tab and had to make a spacer to move the disc rotor outward to be able to center the caliper to the rotor.
Does this make sense?

Last edited:

This is the one for the motovox. It's bigger than the one for the DB.
Thanks for posting the pic of it and confirming that it is larger than the DB caliper.

My next question is...where did you get yours from? As I mentioned earlier, HRMB is out of stock and don't know when they'll be getting more in...that doesn't help me.
If I can source the same caliper somewhere, I can always get the hose and brake lever/ master cylinder loose from one of the vendors.. Would a scooter use the same type caliper?

Last edited:
I got this caliper off of eBay. It was the wrong one so I tried cutting off the spacers to see if I could get it to work but it still wouldn't line up. If you want it, it's yours. Just pay for shipping. I have no use for it.

A big thank you to Kyle for sending me the caliper and assorted parts. Thanks again, man..I appreciate it.

I have a general question in regard to mounting a hydraulic caliper. Does it usually entail modifying the caliper mounting tab? It appears that whichever caliper I use, larger Motovox or small DB type the tab either has to be ground down and redrilled, or perhaps weld a new tab on the frame.
I'd like to hear from other Motovox owners that converted to hydraulic brakes as to what they did in this case.

I have also purchased the DB brake caliper kit from OldMiniBikes and it's not a direct "bolt-on". It also requires modifications.

Last edited:
I'm a little late to reply but new to the site. I was reading your post and it sounds like you were having the same problem I have or similar. I too bought a hydraulic rear brake for my db30 and it didn't mount up right. There was a silver screw that sticks out past the pads and was rubbing on the disc. Is that the same problem you had? If so, how did you resolve it?
Thanks,
John

I'm a little late to reply but new to the site. I was reading your post and it sounds like you were having the same problem I have or similar. I too bought a hydraulic rear brake for my db30 and it didn't mount up right. There was a silver screw that sticks out past the pads and was rubbing on the disc. Is that the same problem you had? If so, how did you resolve it?
Thanks,
John
John,
Did you buy the hydraulic brake kit specifically for the DB30? The reason I ask is that there's two different bolt configurations.
I bought a DB caliper kit for my Motovox and it's not a direct bolt on. In OldMiniBikes's description, they make it sound like it's a simple adaptation...which is BS. The brake mounting plate on the frame...in my case at least, needs to be cut off and flipped around and re-welded. Not everyone has access to a welder, etc. I do, however.
I honestly don't want to cut the mounting plate off, so I'll probably just purchase a caliper that bolts on, and use the hose, brake handle w/ master cylinder.
So, now I have 3-calipers that are not a direct bolt on. If anyone purchased a hydraulic caliper for a Motovox bike and needs one for a DB30, I'd gladly swap you two for one. One is brand new never used, the other is like new.

So, getting back to the extended screw that sticks out past the pads...I can't say I noticed that on any of my calipers.

Thanks air cooled. I just ground the head down and used a dremel to cut in a flat head screw driver notch. Screwed it back in and added a couple of washers. I just hope it works, otherwise I will just get the stock wire pull brakes. I got the hydraulic brake from hot rod mini bike and yes it was specifically for the db30.
If for some reason the brake is not working right, I'll get a hold of you and maybe buy those others from ya! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes

Thanks air cooled. I just ground the head down and used a dremel to cut in a flat head screw driver notch. Screwed it back in and added a couple of washers. I just hope it works, otherwise I will just get the stock wire pull brakes. I got the hydraulic brake from hot rod mini bike and yes it was specifically for the db30.
If for some reason the brake is not working right, I'll get a hold of you and maybe buy those others from ya! Thanks!
John,
I would think Hot rod Minibike would make good for the caliper, unless you bought it awhile back and it's past it's warranty period.

Sure, let me know. I'm pretty sure I won't be using the caliper(s). Hot rod minibike was out of stock on their hydraulic brake kits, but would sell the proper caliper for the Motovox by itself. I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Personally, I wouldn't go back to using a stock cable brake setup. In my opinion they're inadequate and don't stop worth a sh*t.

I see you're in Sarasota. I have a buddy in Bradenton. I'm in Gainesville.
Jack

Last edited:
Yeah I agree about the stock vs hydraulic brake. The hydro is awesome for really stopping the bike. I didn't want my kids to have to worry about having to squeeze the lever real hard in order to really apply the brakes hard.
Yes I'm in Sarasota, nice to see there are some other members close!

Hey the same place those intakes come from sell hydro brakes get the ones for for a 110/125 quad with left side brake lever and master very little modifications needed it's the best brake I have yet to find and my motovox stops now infact it will stop the bike with tav2 while accelerating I had to test it I'm putting them up on everything from my vintage fox to my doodlebug and motovox the brake from hot rod mini bikes left me in a bad situation where laying the bike down was the only option they are cheap and brake when you need them most

Hey the same place those intakes come from sell hydro brakes get the ones for for a 110/125 quad with left side brake lever and master very little modifications needed it's the best brake I have yet to find and my motovox stops now infact it will stop the bike with tav2 while accelerating I had to test it I'm putting them up on everything from my vintage fox to my doodlebug and motovox the brake from hot rod mini bikes left me in a bad situation where laying the bike down was the only option they are cheap and brake when you need them most
Thank you once again. I did check out that site and I was pretty impressed with the amount of cool parts that they carry.
I appreciate the information and suggestions.

Oh, a question about the hydraulic caliper. The one I noticed on the site has a slightly wider bolt pattern...at least another 1/2"...unless that wasn't the one you used. Which one did you use, and what did you do to properly install your setup?

Thanks!
Jack

Last edited: