Jacobsen 321 2 cycle

hey just picked up this edger with a Jacobsen 321 on it. Does anyone have a manual on these? Also wondering what year it is. Can you tell be serial number?

Caught my eye as it has same pull start as my old Lausen Tecumseh.

KB2ROCKET

here is some important info. about this engine you will need to know incase you decide to use this engine to power a kart or mini bike
the PTO is not a 5/8" or a 3/4" it is something slightly larger than 5/8"
keep this in mind

here is some important info. about this engine you will need to know incase you decide to use this engine to power a kart or mini bike
the PTO is not a 5/8" or a 3/4" it is something slightly larger than 5/8"
keep this in mind
Thanks. Interesting that the pulley on it appears to have a bolt all the way through. I'll look closer tonight. I am thniking of a kart for it. Or just restore the edger as is and sell it. I think this engine is fantastic. First pull every time and sounds so damn good.

Several years ago I purchased a J-321 from ebay.
As pointed out, pto was an odd-ball unusable size.
I was very fortunate to find a guy on ebay who was selling NOS J-321 short blocks.
Turned out pto was 5/8".
It now happily powers an old Fox.
BTW...engine in vid is running VERY rich. Running no where near it's potential.

Several years ago I purchased a J-321 from ebay.
As pointed out, pto was an odd-ball unusable size.
I was very fortunate to find a guy on ebay who was selling NOS J-321 short blocks.
Turned out pto was 5/8".
It now happily powers an old Fox.
BTW...engine in vid is running VERY rich. Running no where near it's potential.
What do you mean? You swap out the shaft on the one with the odd ball size?

KB2ROCKET

what I did to compensate was to drill out my 5/8 clutch sadly I didnt do a perfect job and the clutch shakes a little bit
another thing you can do is use a 3/4" clutch and install a shim bushing on the crank
of course the final option is to machine the crank to 5/8" I personally prefer to leave vintage parts alone . I have several of these 321 engines my love of them stems from my dad having one on his jacobsen reel mower he was a golfer and insisted we have a reel mower so the yard would be like a putting green :laugh: