Just got this bike, now what?

Hey all, i picked up this mini bike at a garage sale for 40 bucks and want to know what it is and more importantly what it needs.
I have a few questions. First is that it does not have brakes. Does it need brakes? Can it use a clutch brake with the comet cluch or would it need to be a drum brake. Second question is what engine is it? I know it is a tucumsa, not very good pics, sorry. I can post a better picture of the placard later. (One part reads "Displacement_______172" is that in cc? that seems very large) Third Question is this, Do i need to do any mandatory greasing of things. i did replace the oil, but i know it has only been ridden in snow recently and then left out in the snow. Is this bad for wheel bearings? Should i grease things like this?

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

P.S. Pictures are mirrored, clutch is on the left side.

Attachments

buckeye

That's a steal for 40 smackers.
Torque convertor may need lubed. Dry lube spray only.
Does it run?

I'd strip it all down and clean everything real good and see what I had.

trinik7597

buckeye is right that is like stealing it :thumbsup: something is screwy though unless its me :laugh: tav is on the side the recoil should be on but everything else looks right carb , exhaust :shrug:

capguncowboy

buckeye is right that is like stealing it :thumbsup: something is screwy though unless its me :laugh: tav is on the side the recoil should be on but everything else looks right carb , exhaust :shrug:
He's got some of those ultra rare backwards signs too -- the kind you need a mirror to read! :laugh:

Pictures are just flipped

That is a really good score :thumbsup: I bet it's a fast little bugger too. You definitely want to invest in a drum brake for that rear sprocket. Other than that looks like a disassembly to clean and reassemble you could be cruising.

What is dry lube? Can anyone recommend a source for drum brakes?
And yes it is fast. The way the throttle cable is set up makes for a very small twist on the handle for full throttle, something i need to fix. Becouse of this it is almost impossible not to pop a wheely when accelerating.:laugh:

Last edited:

capguncowboy

What is dry lube? Can anyone recommend a source for drum brakes?
And yes it is fast. The way the throttle cable is set up makes for a very small twist on the handle for full throttle, something i need to fix. Becouse of this it is almost impossible not to pop a wheely when accelerating.:laugh:
Graphite is a dry lube. You can get it in an aerosol can even. I just use the kind that comes in a little tube. You can get it at just about any hardware or automotive store.

markus

Hey all, i picked up this mini bike at a garage sale for 40 bucks and want to know what it is and more importantly what it needs.
the bike is an Azusa, they are the basic "kit" frames that most vendors sell, parts on it are all pretty standard off the shelf stuff so you should be able to get some brakes going on the back pretty easy...may have to buy new sprocket/drum and brake to do it depending. If the rear wheel matches the front its called a "Tri star" so you wnt to look for the sprocket/drums that fit them. OldMiniBikes carries that stuff.

First things first I would recommend a clutch cover if you're going to ride the bike. Never know when the clutch is gonna grab ahold of a shoelace or pantleg.

I would change oil like you said you did, and just buy a can of WD40 and go through and lube all moving parts. If you want to get into it, take apart the primary cluch and lube up the inside really good. Anti-sieze the primary clutch hub, and then lube up the mechanisms of the secondary. Almost necessary if the bike was ridden and stored in snowy conditions without a cover, will prevent grief later on too. Careful not to get lube on the clutch faces or belt.

Change out gas if it smells old or funky, and lube up your chain really good with some chain lube. Check chain tension.

Other than all that if it runs and rides good, giver hell! :scooter:

i do have a clutch cover. What should the chain tension be like? to me it seems very tight. There is no play at all. will be posting better pics soon.

just pulled the engine off the bike. Also got the gas tank pull start and other stuff off the engine. It all looks pretty good, but very dirty.

I tried to take of the front handlebar/fork assembly, but ran into some problems. I got the nut off the end of the bolt but i cannot get the bolt out. I cant even rotate it. Could this be just because it is rusted or something? Or is it some kind of special bolt assembly?

I can post some more pics if that would help. Thanks again.